Paintball Co2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Jeffkol
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Paintball Co2?

Can someone put links to everything I need for a good but cheap Paintball Co2 system? And if you can, can you have almost everything from amazon.com? Thanks!
Jeffkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffkol View Post
Can someone put links to everything I need for a good but cheap Paintball Co2 system? And if you can, can you have almost everything from amazon.com? Thanks!
Is there any reason in particular that you are looking for a paintball CO2 setup instead of a "normal" (i.e. 5 pound or larger) CO2 cylinder?

If it is the cost, in the long run, a non-paintball cylinder CO2 setup will be cheaper as refills are not that much different.

Have you tried to do a search on the forums yet? There is a lot of information out there regarding pressurized CO2 (including in my Primer to Pressurized CO2, linked below in my signature).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Paintball Co2?

Well I have a limited space to which I can keep it in an it is only for a ten gallon so I don't think I will need much
Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
jefferzbooboo
Algae Grower

How much is cheap to you? Remember you're dealing with high pressure and cheap isn't always the best.
I have the Green Leaf Aquariums Atomic Co2 paintball regulator and haven't had a complaint.
jefferzbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Paintball Co2?

Is that an all in one? And cheap is less than or equal to $100
Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

If you're willing to wait, on ebay aquatek sells their mini pb co2 setups for around 85 shipped. That includes tubing and bubble counter all you would need is a diffuser. They are out of stock until around May though so the price is a lot more until then.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Paintball Co2?

But that is for paintball?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Yes I use one on my 20 gallon. It's very compact as well so it takes up little space. It is about 4 inches tall and the solenoid sticks out maybe 1/2" farther than the outside of the tank.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Paintball Co2?

So this system is an all in one? So if I get this this is all I will need besides the diffuser and the tank?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
So this system is an all in one? So if I get this this is all I will need besides the diffuser and the tank?
Yes, but it is recommended to get a drop checker to keep an eye on your co2 levels.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Paintball Co2?

Well this tank will probably not have any fish in it. Just the beauty of a planted tank. But maybe some shrimp
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Darkblade48

Quote:
Well this tank will probably not have any fish in it. Just the beauty of a planted tank. But maybe some shrimp
A drop checker would be recommended so that you can ballpark the amount of CO2 that you will have.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Shrimp are more susceptible to CO2 than fish are.

Just remember that CO2 isn't cheap. Long term, yes (if you do it right), but short term, not at all. On the other hand, if you skimp now, you'll pay later. Up to you. But my advice is wait until you have $200-250 to spend, all told, on a CO2 rig (including cylinder). At that price point, you can buy something that you'll be happy with for a lifetime. The price point you're at now is only a sinkhole. In a year, when you finally realize how much better you could have done, you'll spend twice that amount for a good system.

Pay it all now, or pay half now, and double later. Up to you. I'm not saying paintball isn't the way to go. I'm talking about the regulator/solenoid/needle valve. Cheap products now are garbage later, and there's no upgrading garbage.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Jeffkol
Planted Member

Default Paintball Co2?

So the one that someone on here said for $85 shipped wont work for long?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

+1. Another thing is that if you are not in a hurry, check out fleaby for some deals. You can find some good dual stage regulators for under $40. Add a post body kit from someone like bettatail, and have yourself a rock solid reg for under $100. Now all you need is a tank(paintball or reg cylinder) and a glass diffuser or reactor and you can come in around $120 or so. Point is, save up a few extra bucks and get reg that you will not regret.

By being a bit thrifty, I actually came in ~$100 for a dual stage paint ball reg, you can see it in my 6g journal. I also got another dual stage reg with solenoid and nv off this site for $70. There are deals out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Shrimp are more susceptible to CO2 than fish are.

Just remember that CO2 isn't cheap. Long term, yes (if you do it right), but short term, not at all. On the other hand, if you skimp now, you'll pay later. Up to you. But my advice is wait until you have $200-250 to spend, all told, on a CO2 rig (including cylinder). At that price point, you can buy something that you'll be happy with for a lifetime. The price point you're at now is only a sinkhole. In a year, when you finally realize how much better you could have done, you'll spend twice that amount for a good system.

Pay it all now, or pay half now, and double later. Up to you. I'm not saying paintball isn't the way to go. I'm talking about the regulator/solenoid/needle valve. Cheap products now are garbage later, and there's no upgrading garbage.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote