Questions about German blue rams?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Kimfishepet
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Questions about German blue rams?

I don't have the time/patience/money/want to do do a planted tank. Besides that what is the desired environment for these guys? I can do holey rock, floating/bunched plants if needed, am not sure on the substrate. Any other tips or must haves?

Would white cloud minnows make good dithers?
Kimfishepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

They do like places to hide, but are very community oriented so you can pretty much put anything in with them. They do get territorial when they are breeding, but other then that they are OK with whatever. If you don't want to plant your tank, just get a good number of fake ones and it should be fine.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

My tank is not heavily planted that my rams are in (the only tank like that I have). I have some driftwood with java fern and anubias tied to them. What I did was align the driftwood to make squares in the tank. That gives them their own "squares" to call their own. They will come up from the bottom and mingle in the top half of the water column but right now mom and dad are happy in their corner protecting their eggs. Best thing about the tank. I don't fertilize it and it has just the crappy light that came with it.
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
Kimfishepet
Planted Member

Thank y'all for the advice. I like the idea of dividing the aquarium with driftwood. Do y'all think they benefit from holey rock? What about substrate?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Razorworm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Without knowing your water paramiters, I would stil lsay to avoid the holy rock. It will raise your ph. Good for Africans though. On a side note, I see you are from Texas. Do you collect your own rock?
Razorworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Kimfishepet
Planted Member

Yep, got a bunch yesterday. Now to begin the process of cleaning it today. Although, now I am unsure what I am going to do with it as my ph from the tap is high so it sounds like that would be a bad combination. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Couv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Also as far as "dither" fish, I really don't think that you always need them. My current rams (3 females and 1 male) I got when they were about 3/4 of an inch long. At first they were a bit shy, but now when I feed the tank, they're up at the top of the water and grab anything that floats. They're more aggressive towards the food than the cardinals and rummy nose that are in the tank with them.

Also, they're living fine in my tank with a pH from the tap of about 7.6. Have layed eggs about twice per month, though none have hatched so far.
Couv is offline   Reply With Quote