Okay to eat moss? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Majority of dogs happily eat lawn grass, chew on twigs, eat wood, and some eat their own poop when they're puppies....
Though dog stomachs aren't bulletproof, they're sure a lot tougher than ours. :P

If nothing in your dog's behavior changes in the next few days, I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

A dog consuming a bit of moss is the least of his/her digestive worries. LOL

- I have three dogs
caykuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

If the dog did it without you seeing, that's one thing. But don't give it to him? I, for one, would definitely not eat or drink anything out of an aquarium. seriously.

Last edited by Blackheart; 03-21-2013 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: ,,,
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
Why let him get the parasite in the first place?

Most people are not treating their dog with preventative medicine constantly.
The aquarium is the last place I'd worry about parasites entering a dog.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

If the dogs hungry enough for several days, without food, you become its next meal. Mans best friend....yea right. A few deaths were related to dogs hunting down humans after Katrina destroyed NO.

Not sure why but I guess it was an interesting piece to share.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
and a few intestinal parasites.

Most parasites are host-specific. A lot also have a multi-part lifecycle with specific hosts for each stage. I doubt there would be many things that you would find in an aquarium that would be able to use a dog (or a person) for a host.

Not saying it won't ever happen, but your dog is more likely to get a parasite from eating bugs or mice then some dried aquarium plants.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #21
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Most parasites are host-specific. A lot also have a multi-part lifecycle with specific hosts for each stage. I doubt there would be many things that you would find in an aquarium that would be able to use a dog (or a person) for a host.

Not saying it won't ever happen, but your dog is more likely to get a parasite from eating bugs or mice then some dried aquarium plants.
Your second comment is right on. But there are many parasites than can be in a human, that come from water. Our tank water is cleaner for sure, but these things can live there.

see here for a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

The parasite being host specific has nothing to do with it. If we or the dog ingest them, they can cause us harm. Why allow the problem to happen and then fix it, when you can easily avoid the whole issue? Thats my thinking anyway.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #22
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

I found this video of a liver fluke I found in my tank a few months back:

Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
If the dogs hungry enough for several days, without food, you become its next meal. Mans best friend....yea right. A few deaths were related to dogs hunting down humans after Katrina destroyed NO.
Folk lore and urban myth. Maybe if you're already dead, the dogs will scavenge your body. Why not? Most Americans are fat enough to feed a feral pack for a week!

However, I don't buy that the family Fido suddenly became a survivalist hunter, tracking and devouring human prey. It was a rain shower, not the zombie apocalypse.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Folk lore and urban myth. Maybe if you're already dead, the dogs will scavenge your body. Why not? Most Americans are fat enough to feed a feral pack for a week!

However, I don't buy that the family Fido suddenly became a survivalist hunter, tracking and devouring human prey. It was a rain shower, not the zombie apocalypse.

It so happened that after a week I guess of no food, dogs were starving. What happened was bigger dogs formed packs and hunted down the smaller weaker dogs. I remember reading this along time ago. A quik googly search will do the trick, but too lazy atm.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post

I agree 100 percent. I live here. A big threat was the "human zombies" (BTW-LMAO-Zombie Apocalypse) and gators being disturbed from their habitats.
The worst, although not serious threat, are the damn floating fire ants.
However, plenty of dogs go "missing" and bones found mysteriously after a large gumbo feast.

A lot of dogs were rescued, some were scared, and when cornered showed fear aggression, but most seemed to be happy campers when rescued.

There are feral dog packs that arise on occasion, bugging livestock and killing pets. Also coyotes. But that can be any state. More documented cases of Pits attacking people, in other large cities, singly and in groups. Sorry pit people-just because there's more of 'em and illegal pit fighting-breeding for aggression

-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
evilhorde
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My two bits:
1. Don't intentionally feed your dog moss or any other random bits of vegetation, dogs are carnivores. While they can eat veggies, they are much better suited to digesting muscle tissue and organ meat.
2. Don't lose any sleep over your dog eating moss or any other random piece of vegetation of his (or her) own volition. Dogs are stupid and seemingly have no idea what is good for them.

If the moss was mildly toxic, then your dog is going to barf/poop all over your carpet and/or new couch and then be fine in a day or so.
If the moss was highly toxic, it's too late already.
evilhorde is offline   Reply With Quote