where to place outlet for drilled 125
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

where to place outlet for drilled 125

so I've got this sweet tank and I'm planning out the filtration now.

It's a drilled aqueon 125 -> http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=222962&page=2 with two overflows

I'm not sure where the intake and outlet's should go. I have two of these kits:

I'm not sure where I should route these as i've two options with the builtin overflow, either closer to the ends of the tank, or closer to the middle. and then, where do I point the nozzles? should they crisscross? ie: each outlet points towards the opposite end?

Also, should I get some sort of end for the outlets? they're simple circles... no spray bar no slotted piece either. just a circular outlet.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I'm confused as to what you are asking but I'll try to help. You have two of the kits pictured, so you should have one drain pipe (it has the strainer in the pic, U-shaped at the top) and one return pipe for each overflow box. Just plumb both drain pipes down to your sump. I would probably put them on the outside holes in the overflow boxes (nearest to the corners).
Actually... I think that the holes in the overflow boxes are two different sizes (at least they are on my 90 gallon), so the standpipe/drain tube can only fit in that one after you fit the correct bulkhead.
Anyways, The loc-line can be pointed in whatever direction you want. I'd try it in different directions and see which works better for you. A good starting point would to have one face the side wall and the other face the front-middle pane; set up the other return's loc-line the same way.
The end of the loc-line will basically pour water out like a garden hose. You can add a flare nozzle (some saltwater people call it a duck bill) for a wider distribution. Just type in "flare nozzle" in bulkreefsupply and you'll see what I'm talking about.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

ngrubich is right with the aiming. We have 30 or more tanks like those set up and that seems to give the best current distribution but you'll definitely want to added the flared end. It turns a jet stream into more of a current. On those long tanks you'll probably want to add a HYDOR powerhead or something similar (something that fans and doesn't jet) at the other end. Nothing too powerful for a planted system but it keeps dead spots from occurring with the counter current.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

If you put a nozzle of any kind on the end of the loc line then you will be restricting flow for the sake of velocity. I wanted flow rather than velocity and it is working great with no nozzle at all. Even my pvc elbow is serving as the return with nothing to restrict flow to increase velocity.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

The HYDOR powerheads worked great in my smaller tank setups, but couldn't get them to work well in my 90 (probably because they were a little on the smaller side) --> I ended up getting some of the JBJ oceanstream powerheads and they work a little better in my opinion; the flow is slightly strong for my liking (although my cichlids like it), but is pretty broad.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote