Best type of filter for planted tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
jbarnes0916

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best type of filter for planted tank?

Hi, I have a 46g moderately planted tank. I have been keeping planted tanks for about 6 years now. I am currently using HOB Bio-wheel filtration only. I don't use any type of CO2 system. Only CO2 added is from fish and liquid carbon supplementation (Seachem's Flourish Excel), as well as trace mineral supplementation.

I have read that the surface agitation from the HOB filters can cause an off-gas of CO2 in the tank, decreasing the CO2 levels in the water.

What are your thoughts on the best type of filters for planted tanks with fish? I am looking for a relatively low-maintenance device with low upkeep cost.

I am particularly interested in thoughts on the canister filtration system. Anyone using Marineland's HOT Magnum Canister Filter?
jbarnes0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

eHeim 2217 for your tank is probabaly a response many will give you. I have the smaller 2213 and its the best. Generally speaking eheim is the way to go imo.

good luck
hisxlency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Sugardaddy1979
Sic em

PTrader: (12/100%)

Canisters are awesome for low maintenance and are generally quieter to boot. No to mention the versatility in media you can use. I have my first eheim on the way. A 2213 for my fluval ebi. I've been running a sunsun 302 for over a year now on my 29 gallon and it has been great and was very inexpensive.
Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Most of us go with canisters, especially when we are talking about tanks under about 100 gallons or so.

Everyone has their own opinion. I have yet to use a sump but it seems like a lot of people are able to run quite a bit more CO2 because of how much oxygen it adds to the water.

HOB filters are fine for me. The caveat with CO2 is you need to top off a lot or your CO2 levels will not stay consistent. You all will off gas CO2 but you reap the benefit or more oxygen in the water. I actually find I do better with a HOB in terms of fish, though I don't use them anymore, plants do about the same. Maintance is much higher though, I find I had to clean them every 2 weeks to a month.

Canisters are what I use but I am not sure they are my favorite. What I like about them is maintenance is less often. However, what I don't like about them is when you have issues with them, you don't really notice until it's problematic. I may get a random leak hear and their but its so rare I don't really think to check. By the time I catch it, it has been going on for some time. I am learning over time (5 years) how to catch things more quickly by listening to odd sounds but only now am I catching things fairly quickly.

I also have chronic surface scum in one tank, I can get it to go away but it will just come back one day and really badly. That is only on 1 tank, I don't know why. I thought it may be what is on my hands or something but it only happens in one tank, I had 3 with canisters at one time, only one had the issue.

I am on the fence about reliability of canister filters vs. other options. 1 has been ultra reliable. One has been more reliable than my HOB. One has had it's problems over the years. Maybe I just got one bad one.

I don't want to say canisters are bad, most of us use them and I have been using them exclusively on my tanks for a long time. I sometimes question going back to a HOB but they are ugly and take a lot of maintenance. That's why I am think sump next, kind of has the benifits of both a canister and a HOB in one, with added filtration and more water volume.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wet/Dry is my favorite.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

I use wet/drys on all my tanks and all my client's tanks. Sometimes they have a post canister micron filter.

I even use one on my ADA 60p, a 17 gallon tank.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes0916 View Post
Anyone using Marineland's HOT Magnum Canister Filter?
I use a HOT Magnum but only as a micron filter to polish up the water after a re-scape or somethng. The HOT does not have a large media basket and isn't as versatile as a Fluval or and Eheim. They are great micron filters but as far as a primary canister there are many better options. I have owned and used the following and would recommend any of these brands: Eheim, Fluval or Rena Filstar.

Other common brands are Marineland, Penn Plax, Aquatop, and Sun Sun.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I use wet/drys on all my tanks and all my client's tanks. Sometimes they have a post canister micron filter.

I even use one on my ADA 60p, a 17 gallon tank.
Pics or it didn't happen. Wet dry, really? Come on man.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Lurch98
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
I assume you're trolling? You mean like this one?

Tom's discussed the merits of wet/dry extensively in his threads.
Lurch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
lol. Wet dry add more oxygen than canister so allows higher CO2 levels and fish are less stressed.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filter suggestions, filtration