Complete Leak Check, CO2 pressurized system - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #151
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Lame.... I ain't touching those gauges ever again. I think got room though.
I usually do not need to remove the low pressure gauge when installing the hardware downstream of the regulator.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #152
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
For some reason I thought adding a 1/4" hex nipple and a 1/4"x1/8" reducer would help with all the weight.
I have both those fittings and was thinking the same as you. Maybe someone with more experience on builds can clue us in. Would a bushing or a nipple be the best choice when weight is a concern?

Is your HPT regulator brass? I was thinking that a 1/4x1/8 bushing would be better since you have brass on brass then have the SS post body on the bushing.

Darkb - You got a pic of your build? I want to see this down stream post body you speak of.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #153
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Darkb - You got a pic of your build? I want to see this down stream post body you speak of.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hp?t=107312#11

It has changed a little though (now using a Parker metering valve instead of the Swagelok).

Sorry for the old (and poor lighting) photograph. Maybe I will take a new one someday.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #154
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Complete Leak Check, CO2 pressurized system

Changed the design per bettatails suggestion...let me know what you think.

Mathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #155
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post

right
Step two of bettatails guide suggest to charge the working pressure at X amount say "100 psi". Then, one must turn the reg handle counter clockwise to loosen it. The final step is to detach the reg from the co2 tank to release any gas in the first stage.

It is suggested to wait 5-10 minutes before taking note of the initial testing reading on the LPG.

Now here's the question:

Just how much of a drop in the reading should the LPG indicate within those 10 minutes?

Say, it starts at 100 psi...what should be considered a "normal" drop after 10 mins?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #156
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

about 1/4 is the most drop I have seen on some certain regulators(when loosen up the regulator handle), normally right after turning the regulator handle loose, the psi on LPG is stable, but I suggested wait 5-10 minutes to be sure, sometimes the spring or diaphragm is not immediately response when you turn lose the regulator handle.

most of the regulators, PSI on LPG don't drop at all when turning loose the regulator handle.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #157
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
about 1/4 is the most drop I have seen on some certain regulators(when loosen up the regulator handle), normally right after turning the regulator handle loose, the psi on LPG is stable, but I suggested wait 5-10 minutes to be sure, sometimes the spring or diaphragm is not immediately response when you turn lose the regulator handle.

most of the regulators, PSI on LPG don't drop at all when turning loose the regulator handle.

I did the "blow out" of the reg several times but the LPG still decreases more than 3/4 of the original reading.

I could say the reg is broken. Thanks for all the help betatail.

~cris
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #158
Darkblade48

Could be a leaky diaphragm causing the gas to leak back from the second stage to the first stage (after you remove the CGA320 connection from the cylinder).

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #159
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Could be a leaky diaphragm causing the gas to leak back from the second stage to the first stage (after you remove the CGA320 connection from the cylinder).
It could be...

If the pressure remains the same without removing the cga then Theres really no leak...

If I have the regulator attached to the co2 gas cylinder and i have the cylinder fully opened, the HPg reads 800psi, the LPG a steady 40psi (set by me) and I do a soapy water test and there's no visible leak...shouldn't the reg be okay even though the gas leaks from the Second to first chamber only after disconnecting the cga? Which will ONLY happen when it's time to refill the tank?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #160
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

Try this:

block the outlet and adjust the regulator handle to 40 psi(regulator handle at 40 psi, don't turn it back),
800 psi at 1st stage and turn off the co2 tank.
let it stay overnight, see if 1st stage still at 800 psi and second stage at 40 psi.

even if the digits stay, it is better to get rid of the regulator because it is usable but not 100% functional, problem will emerge sooner or later.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #161
D-Linquent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I thought I fixed my issue, but it turns out that I just didn't follow the testing directions. But I think I might have a similar problem with air leaking from second stage to the first. The first stage tested fine. I tested the second stage (properly this time), and it didn't hold pressure overnight. I blocked the outlet with a plug, and retested with similar results. I removed both gauges, and I reinstalled them with teflon tape and they're tighter than before. I retested with similar results. Then I replaced the safety valve with a plug and retested with similar results. In between each test, I searched for a leak with soapy water. I didn't find any leaks.

I just charged the first stage, and set the second stage at 40 psi. So the HPG is showing 800 psi, and the LPG is at 40 psi, and I turned off the co2 tank. I will post my results.

Last edited by D-Linquent; 04-20-2013 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Clarification
D-Linquent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #162
Mathman
Planted Tank Obsessed

It could be an internal leak...the leak may be minimal such that a soapy water test may not detect it.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #163
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Consider this, if you went from 50 psi down to 0 psi in 12 hours, is it really worth it to plug?

Each time you test, you connect and disconnect and lose over 1000 psi. Most people will weight their tank and get a estimate of how much is left, before they refill. I know I do. So that small amount of liquid Co2 that is purged before a refill is more than that micro-leak.

Just for the record, I tested twice with a plug and the post-body, it was only when my LP gauge was stable that I realize I lost a few 1000's psi.

Do you guys think this is faulty logic?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #164
D-Linquent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

It does look like it could be a leak from the second stage to the first. After 6 hours that pressure had not changed at all. 40 psi on the LPG and 800 psi on the HPG. After 15 hours I was down to 38 psi on the LPG, and the HPG lowered a fraction as well.

What do you guys think? What did you do with your reg Mathman? Are you using it?
D-Linquent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #165
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Linquent View Post
It does look like it could be a leak from the second stage to the first. After 6 hours that pressure had not changed at all. 40 psi on the LPG and 800 psi on the HPG. After 15 hours I was down to 38 psi on the LPG, and the HPG lowered a fraction as well.

What do you guys think? What did you do with your reg Mathman? Are you using it?
it is fine from 40 to 38 psi in 15 hours. if it is a slow leak on LP side, it is micro and insignificant, but what worry me it is the HPG lower, by how much?