what should i do with my old gravel and filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Spaniard
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

what should i do with my old gravel and filter?

so recently i upgraded from a 15G to a 55G i have new gravel (flourite) and a canister filter now in my new setup. i have 2 media bags inside my tank right now with some old gravel and also running my old filter HOB(marineland penguin 150b with bio-wheel) to help jump start my cycle. my cycle is pretty much done, but im giving it another week to be safe, once i start adding fish i will be removing the media bags and the HOB filter.

-keeping the small tank as a QT tank is not an option. no space.
-i have an acrylic tank now, i was thinking about just leaving my old filter on top but it just doesn't sit right on the tank and i dont like the way it splashes too much. dont like the sound of running water. i know 2 filters is better then one but if anything ill get another canister in a few months.
-first priority is to sell the whole setup, but just in case i keep it. here is my concerns:

1.how should i clean the gravel in order for me to store it so that it doesnt mold or stink? (regular black substrate)

2.should i keep the bio-wheel for my old filter? or just throw it out and buy a new one later just in case i set that tank back up in the future (years) lol

will the bacteria just die off?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

When I moved from NY to FL and had to knock down all my tanks I washed the gravel then spread it in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and put it into the oven for a while at 200.
I'll never do that again. The next batches I washed and laid it out in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and let it air dry with a fan on it. Then it went into plastic sweater boxes. Still have a little still in the sweater boxes. Been over 25 years and no odor.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.