List of Solenoid Valves models: More options for the hobbyist.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

List of Solenoid Valves models: More options for the hobbyist.

Here is a list of some solenoids valves that are suitable for us. Remember, there is no single part numbers, you pick the series then choose what you want. There are thousands of configurations.

First up is what I consider the closest thing to "best" solenoid. It's low watt, low heat, small form factor and the price is very competitive.

Bettatail found this little gem a bit before I did, he shared the deal with me but since I'm from the great white north, I don't sell. PM him for details.

Enjoy

SMC VDW 2.5W

CKD SV-FB 2.5W

VQ21A-1Y-C6 2.9W

USB2-M5-1-0 4W

SV-XG 0.6W

A2A model 0.25W

- Credits goes to haru for the pictures.

Some other less suitable options.

These are basically the clippard mouse solenoids, 10/32 ports makes it a weak choice for multiple metering valves.

I will update with further solenoids, there is a bit more out there but they are bulky and less known.

Last edited by FlyingHellFish; 03-23-2013 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: Clear up info.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

This is a list of manufacture/brands of solenoids I study the possible solenoids for our DIY in the winter of 2011, more than a year ago. They all make (miniature) low power consumption solenoids.

It is your task to locate the exact model.

Clippard
SMC
Numatics
Mac
Asco/Angar
Parker Hannifin/Peter paul/Honneywell(skinner)
KIP
CKD
Fabco(re-branded Peter paul, not low power model)
Burkert
Humphrey/Koganei
Ingersoll-Rand(mostly Parker Hannifin)
Bio-Chem(Possible re-branded Parker Hannifin)
Edward(KV)
Predyne(precision Dynamics)/Gems

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: add
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
A2A model 0.25W Same as Aquatek, Aquatic Medic solemnly sources these swell.

I doubt it is what it claimed, the coil is huge and much bigger than the SMC V100 pneumatic circuit type solenoid which is around the same power consumption. The regulator underneath the A2A solenoid act as heat dissipation device, this test is bias because other solenoids don't have a big piece of metal attached.

anyone who has this model of Aquatek, please test the electric current on the solenoid.

solenoid under 4 watts are considered low power consumption, and under 2 watts are extremely low.
solenoids fall in these categories, make no big difference on the power consumption, but quality of the design, material, and build(quality control) are more important than trying to pursue the even lower power consumption model/brands.

BTW, it is not good idea to test the surface temperature for same power consumption solenoids, metal shell solenoid always transfer heat faster and always hotter to the touch. Cooler is better, not quite true for same power consumption solenoids. In reality, the heat dispatching is better on full metal structure solenoids, the temperature in the coil of the solenoid is lower than that a plastic wrapped outer shell/case model

Last edited by Bettatail; 03-23-2013 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: add
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

^ Info has been corrected.

From what I read, it's a pulse solenoid. It's a bit confusing because AquaMedic has one version which is 2.5w and has source the JIN BEN SUN co version A2A. I gave up on finding a source, it's either buy 100 plus shipping or find a used one.

Either way, it's pretty bulky. I also have the DICI solenoid valve which I *think is 4 watts and has BSP threading. Yes, you can have BSP threading on the post body, the regulator itself can accept CGA 320. I tired adding NPT fittings and notice the threads are not the same.

*temperature
There is also a solenoid valve that has heat sink, *think cpu cooler, I can't find it anymore unfortunately.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote