It's working! It's wooorrrkiiing!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Smeagol
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's working! It's wooorrrkiiing!!!

Please forgive my excitement.... I just set up my first DIY CO2 rig... didn't think anything was gonna happen.... it just looked like a jug of cloudy water.... so I sat down on the sofa with book.... an hour later.... BUBBLES! I couldn't believe it!

Questions:

I used a standard mix of 2 cups of sugar and a half-teaspoon of yeast in a 2-litre bottle. How long can I expect this mixture to "burn"?

I'm temporarily feeding the CO2 into the filter intake while I wait for my diffuser to arrive from Hong Kong. Is it safe to run it this way for a couple weeks, or am I risking serious damage to my filter?
55g: Finnex Ray2 & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 with inline diffuser, Eco-Complete substrate, modified EI ferts. Assorted Tetras & Nerite Snails. Glosso, Limnophila aquatica, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Jungle Val, Anacharis, Red Melon Sword, Amazon Sword.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, Flourite substrate, Ferts whenever I feel like it. Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras, and way too many plants!
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Mahawka
Algae Grower

Congratulation !!!
Mahawka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
Mahawka
Algae Grower

With the 2 cups of sugar and a half-teaspoon of yeast in a 2-litre bottle set up I get about 3 weeks of Co2 before I have to change it up. I found that after week 2 the co2 powe drops by 1/2

I am not sure about your filter situation.
Mahawka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not sure about your filter type and such but it should be receiving oxygen instead of c02 for the bacteria to live, therefore hooking the c02 up to the intake of the filter is not the best choice, in fact I would hook it up to the output returning the water flow down into the tank directionally so that the c02 will be in contact with the water column longer.

As for how long it will last there are variables like water chemistry (mainly Ph from tap) how many bubbles per second are the main ones. You'll know how long after the first bottle is used up and you create your second bottle the same way you can expect the same amount of time then. Here's a link for complete info on the subject especially about the amounts of each ingredient used in the bottle, and there effects if reduced/increased. http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#6

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imi Statue View Post
Not sure about your filter type and such but it should be receiving oxygen instead of c02 for the bacteria to live, therefore hooking the c02 up to the intake of the filter is not the best choice
CO2 in the water column does not displace oxygen, and will not have any effect on the BB in the filter.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
CO2 in the water column does not displace oxygen, and will not have any effect on the BB in the filter.
That's interesting... I have had perfectly normal filters die-off because of c02 being injected through the intakes(nothing else changed). So until someone can prove to me that this is different I think I would not use this method.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
KingOfTheFeeshes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
That's just not true... If you have much higher CO2 levels, your oxygen level may stay the same - but is lower in relation to the oxygen. As air is a solution, this is all distributed evenly. CO2 might not get rid of the oxygen, but it most definitely displaces it.
If you're correctly dosing your CO2 for your tank, you're also effectively asphyxiating your beneficial bacteria via this method of diffusion.

--edit--
I just ran into a post about this somewhere on the forum, and realized that I was being presumptuous when i made this comment... Hoppy is right (as usual).
Generally one does not displace the other in any extreme way, although I've heard of people causing their fish to gasp with unreasonably high CO2 levels. It would take a heck of a lot of CO2 to do significant harm to the aquarium. You should be fine with the CO2 in the intake for a few weeks, although I still wouldn't leave it there permanently. I've heard too many stories of people having problems with this to truly ever feel *safe* about it.

Last edited by KingOfTheFeeshes; 04-02-2013 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: I was wrong... oops.
KingOfTheFeeshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheFeeshes View Post
That's just not true... If you have much higher CO2 levels, your oxygen level may stay the same - but is lower in relation to the oxygen. As air is a solution, this is all distributed evenly. CO2 might not get rid of the oxygen, but it most definitely displaces it.
If you're correctly dosing your CO2 for your tank, you're also effectively asphyxiating your beneficial bacteria via this method of diffusion.
If CO2 displaces O2, where does the O2 that is displaced go? I don't believe this is true. Unless you are adding a lot more than 1% of anything to the air It shouldn't have any effect on the O2 percentage in the air - about 20%. And, we only add perhaps .3-.4% CO2 at the most. Furthermore, lots of people run their CO2 through the filter, without adverse effects, except it is possible to run into cavitation in the pump if you get too big a bubble of gas at one time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.