EI Dosing-KH2PO4 dose vs. target range? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 03-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
PlantNewbie101
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Tom,
That is what I told my mom before I even posted the ?. I need a gram scale.

"The issue are: not all teaspoons are the same, not all moisture content in the salts are the same, nor the brand and grain sizes are standard."

Now I'll get my gram scale.

Thanks for that and taking the time to clarify.

When you got into all this, you were *testing* and then finally came to the point of finding what worked on a consistent basis and then started publishing your results & others you were working with. And came up with some standard starting points and stressing the + or - (Estimative) and most importantly the 50% w/c so that people weren't building up toxic levels. It seems pretty straight forward.

I find your research with algae to be great info and dispels a lot of myths.

Thanks again for clarifying and excuse my mom, she likes to over complicate before seeing how simple the answer was all along.
PlantNewbie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Well, I was once a kid begging the parents for stuff. But the LFS owner hired me at 2$ an hr cash or 3$ an hour credit, vs the parents chore list for 3$ per week. So I worked about 12 hours a week when I was 10. Then the owner sold the place after 2 years and the new smelly hippy lady said I stole driftwood and banned me. She saw me on the street a few months later and apologized, having found the wood. Never did go back there. Paper route and a few other things to hussle to get the $.

But......while few owners will hire kids these days, on line you can sell aquatic plants easily or stuff on ebay, or collect cans/plastic bottles and take to recycle centers etc.

Begging parents works also. Particularly if you get A's in school, then you will get pretty much anything to ask for
That's the deal I make with the kids.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
PlantNewbie101
Algae Grower

I think I have found my motivation! Thanks! Aim high, right. I'm sure my mom will really let me have a go in the other tank she picked up. Begging doesn't work anymore, nor does grades. The CO2 and gassing the fish has instilled a lot of paranoia in her...Why risk EOTD with an old Milwaukee Regulator. Plan is coming together...

I have 4 larger stems of Sphaerocarpa: 40$ shipped
You can easily propagate this plant by planting and then topping and replant the bottom portion after 1-2 weeks, the stump will sprout 1-3 new plants.

L. tornado: 6 nice sized stems: 45$ shipped

1 large bunch, not sure how many stems this is, 10-20 perhaps, and plenty of tops. 30$ shipped

I have 3 Anubias white: 70$ per plant. Shipping is 5$. SOLD OUT

Mini myriophyllum, a nicer smaller slower growing milfoil: 25$ shipped for 10+ stems.

Will combine orders for discounted rate, but will not split the quantities.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

If you are good at growing plants, you can turn some $ and I think the Mom will approve also of managing $/banking, business etc.

On line, this is possible without anyone knowing much about you or where you are from etc does not matter either. If you live in a small town away from everything, not an issue, as long as you have have a computer and printer and postal service.

CO2 will increase growth 10-20X, so you will make 10-20X more $.

Grades should always work.
But you have to do the work.

There are many ways to make a $, you just need to ask folks.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
PlantNewbie101
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice. She said if I pull high honors for the next two quarters (all A's easy in my book, just a little bit more of my time) that she will get me a CO2 tank, for we already have another milwakee regulator. I think that it would be cool making money, for I am aware that not a lot of people hire teens. I live out in no-where-ville, so that doesn't help either. I like programming too. Do you know if some one has done a EI calculator for the Android market? I could do that too.

I got to go to school, have a good day.

Joshua
Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #21
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantNewbie101 View Post
Thanks for the advice. She said if I pull high honors for the next two quarters (all A's easy in my book, just a little bit more of my time) that she will get me a CO2 tank, for we already have another milwakee regulator. I think that it would be cool making money, for I am aware that not a lot of people hire teens. I live out in no-where-ville, so that doesn't help either. I like programming too. Do you know if some one has done a EI calculator for the Android market? I could do that too.

I got to go to school, have a good day.

Joshua
I have a nice Victor regulator and vernier handle, low crack pressure check valve, I think it's got a burket solenoid. 10X better than the Chinese Milwaukee junk. It'll be a couple of weeks, but I could offer it for pretty cheap, about the same price as a new Milwaukee.

I switched out most of the Victors to dual stage regulators.
The other thing you could do is make MTS and grow emergent plants, sell those and have a repository of plants to pull from for your own aquariums.
Those clear storage containers with some wet mud and some indirect sunlight is all you need. Then sell the plants.

Making an app would be wise. You might check Hoppy's light curves, if you could make an lighting app, and a CO2 chart app, then you are talking.

Might even pay for college if you get on it.