BGA on my Water Sprite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

BGA on my Water Sprite

Long story short..

My tank is a 40B it has three african clawed frogs. My filter is an Eheim 2217, the spray bar is directed against the glass to reduce current since clawed frogs (these are the big ones) do not like strong current. I also do this so my floating plants grow better.

My tank had a LOT of duckweed but I've removed most of it. There was also some amazon frog bit, but it wasn't growing well. My water sprite wasn't growing well either, I feel as though the duckweed was 'starving' out my water sprite/frogbit. My water sprite often gets brown leaves and seems to decay, though there is new growth it just doesn't grow like it used to, it's very pale and brown. Anyways the duckweed was heavily culled to give the other plants a chance to catch up.

Now lately I've been noticing BGA growing on my water sprite roots, the plants are grown as floaters. I've only seen it on one plant, it was a slimy film, it was very much blue-green in color and I gave it the sniff test, and it had that strong BGA smell (freshly cut grass odor). I removed the one infected plant but I get the feeling that the BGA will come back, there is NOT a lot of it, but I get the feeling it may be foreshadowing of a forthcoming problem.

I am thinking I should have my spray bar redirected to provide more current and work harder at removing the decaying water sprite, I do weekly 25% water changes and I do remove as much dead plant matter as I can but I get the feeling that lack of current and dead plant matter are what is causing the BGA to appear?

My water sprite has really gone down hill, it used to be all over the place, now it seems to die as fast as it grows..

My tank parameters:
pH 7.4
Temp 70F
NH3 0ppm
NO2 0ppm
NO3 10-20ppm

Not sure about hardness.. I keep crushed coral in my eheim to increase hardness so it's probably moderately high. I do not use fertilizers at all, I feel they're not safe for amphibians. My lighting is a Finnex 36" DS 7000k light, this is a lot of light so I use a plastic sheet to diffuse the light (the ones that are under florescent lights).

Any suggestions? BGA kind of scares me, I know it can be toxic.

Last edited by Michael M; 03-19-2013 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Michael M
Planted Member

Hate to bump but honestly does anyone have some advice here? I seem to notice it growing on the roots of my water sprite. I don't notice it anywhere else.

I am worried it may be toxic to my frogs if it is not removed correctly.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: BGA on my Water Sprite

I do not have an exact solution for you as I don't know much about frogs. And without knowing your actual setup, I can only make some guesses.

Personally, when I start seeing algae, I always check the flow first and co2 second.

In your case, I would make sure that there is as little organics as possible (filter, clean tubes, decaying plants and driftwood, left over food, etc) AND that there is good water oxygenation.

The location of the algae is an important clue: is it directly in the flow, stagnant area, etc. The plants' health is another clue: why some of the plants are no longer doing well.

Meanwhile, trim off affected plants and vacuume the substrate + water changes.

GL

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I do not have an exact solution for you as I don't know much about frogs. And without knowing your actual setup, I can only make some guesses.

Personally, when I start seeing algae, I always check the flow first and co2 second.

In your case, I would make sure that there is as little organics as possible (filter, clean tubes, decaying plants and driftwood, left over food, etc) AND that there is good water oxygenation.

The location of the algae is an important clue: is it directly in the flow, stagnant area, etc. The plants' health is another clue: why some of the plants are no longer doing well.

Meanwhile, trim off affected plants and vacuume the substrate + water changes.

GL

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Thank you for replying.

The frogs are poop machine and they like stagnant water, because of this I direct my spray bar toward the back of the glass to reduce circulation. I get the feeling that hadn't helped my cyanobacteria problem.

So far I've only noticed it in two places, growing on the roots of floating water sprite and I did notice some on my driftwood, that driftwood was immediately removed.

At one point my aquarium became quite lush, it was overgrown so I decided to trim it back a bunch. It never seemed to grow back very well unfortunately, my water sprite became quite brittle and brown and began to rot (though there was also new growth as well). I've read this happens to water sprite some times. I don't know what triggered it.

I've had my Eheim 2217 since last October and I've only cleaned the sponge once. I think it's overdue for a complete break down and clean which I am going to do this weekend.

I do vacuum the substrate weekly (it's sand) and I net any decaying organics I find (mostly brown broken leaves of water sprite..) and I've got my spray bar circulating the tank now. When I see affected water sprite I remove it, again it's not a lot of cyanobacteria but I am seeing it now and then on the roots, it hasn't taken over or anything thankfully but I am worrying.

I am going to do 25% water changes twice a week and break down and clean my Eheim 2217 this weekend.

If there is anything else I can do past that to get things back to normal I'd love to know. I do miss having a lush planted aquarium, it seems to have seen better days. Would giving the plants/driftwood a H2O2 dip help as well?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Mine was almost completely flow related. I pulled up the giant clump of it on the substrate and then added a powerhead. Key is to get as much of it as you can, when I was first battling it I'd let small pieces go float away and they would start up another little patch
Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Michael M
Planted Member

I've done a total break down and cleaning of my Eheim 2217, i've cleaned the sponge but I've neglected to do a total break down and clean the media since I bought it last fall.

It was quite nasty but it's totally cleaned out and I've done a large 50% water change and I've got the spray bar set up to get some decent flow going in the tank as well.

I'm going to wait and see. I honestly only saw BGA once on one infected plant and it was removed and hasn't returned so I think everything should work itself out here. I am hoping to see some decent plant growth again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.