Reusing a 1400K led setup from my old Nano-reef?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Nfortch332
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Reusing a 1400K led setup from my old Nano-reef?

Hey guys,

I've been in and out of planted tanks for a few years now. I've used a fluval chi tank for one planted tank, which I then turned into a nano reed for about a year and a half. Unfortunately my landlord did some construction when I was out of town one weekend without letting me know. Tons of dust got in the tank and I was scheduled to move a couple weeks later. Between the pollution and the move, the tank was NOT in good shape.

I tried to bring it back to life at the new place but it didn't happen. RIP

Anyway,
I want to do a new tank so I cleaned everything out and got an AC filter and some ecocomplete. I have rocks from the last tank but I dont know if they are permanent yet. Here it is as it stands...cycled for a week with some seeded gravel/sponge and some eco-complete. I scaped tonight and added more so that's why there's some cloudiness.

I'll be headed to the scaping forum soon enough, and I have to cut a black background tomorrow. The sword is temporary as well for some color.

I want to spend as little as possible on this build since I'm out pretty good on the nano-reef

I have, from the salt tank, an innovative marine 8W LED light that worked really well for growing coral. It's 1400K, however, and this is where I'm a little confused. It also has moonlight on a separate cord which is nice aesthetically.

The tank is also in a sunroom! I'm aware of whats possible with that and I won't run these lights for long at first to see what happens.

Question is...What can I grow with this? I'd love a carpet (I'm sure this pops up here a lot ) but I don't know if the natural light/1400K 8W LED setup can grow that...Suggestions? I'll Put up pics in the morning.

Thanks guys!
Nfortch332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Reusing a 1400K led setup from my old Nano-reef?

I'm guessing the temp is 14000k in which case it's really cold white, which may work but depends on specific wavelengths. I'd say try it since its in a sunroom just beware of algae with all that blue
Light
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
altiuscitius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can you elaborate more on how that light worked for growing corals?

Im looking to turn a fluval ebi into a nano reef and that's one of the three options Im considering for lighting it.

I'd say try it, see if it works. If it doesn't, then you'll have to upgrade. No point upgrading now though if you don't have to.

If that light turns out not capable of growing a carpet though, the light that comes with the fluval ebi, the fluval pcl13 I think its called, it grew a dwarf hairgrass carpet in mine pretty decent without co2 or ferts. You can get them on amazon if you're in the USA for like $30. $50 if your Canadian like me.
altiuscitius is offline   Reply With Quote