CO2 Reactor Idea, will it work?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

CO2 Reactor Idea, will it work?

I just picked up an old powerhead while visiting my mother in California. While explaining to her what my plans were for it she told me I may not need to go through all the trouble of building a reactor due to how the powerhead itself works. I don't know the model of the powerhead Im using, it's old and covered in calcium deposits. However it does work like a charm still. Picture below shows the powerhead.

The powerhead sucks water from the tank from the open ended bottom, from there it pushes pressurized water through the clear tube that is attached to the output on the bottom, and out the larger tube near the front. As you can see, the unused airline is SUPPOSED to be hooked up to an air pump and used to mix oxygen into the water. My thought is to use that same line for CO2, my DIY CO2 setup would flow into the powerhead and mix with the water inside, then be distributed evenly throughout the tank. This would completely void any need for an external CO2 reactor and defuser! The only problem I can think of, is the impeller inside the powerhead might create a suction from the CO2 tube sucking out all the CO2 in my 2L bottles very quickly. I need expert opinions here! This is my first DIY project and it seems like its going to work amazingly!

UPDATE: The CO2 going directly into the powerhead isn't going to work, the impeller inside the powerhead creates a suction and would therefore remove the CO2 from my 2L bottles too quickly. I now plan on setting up a sump underneath the tank to house the powerhead moving water from the sump to the tank, as well as a secondary powerhead creating extreme water movement to pop the CO2 bubbles entering the sump through the DIY system. In theory the secondary sump will make the water absorb the CO2 before entering the main power head, from there it will be moved to the tank. I will do a quick ghetto setup and post a picture to get feedback.

Overall setup. Powerheads inside the yellow bucket.

The two powerheads. The larger of the two is for water movement, to absorb the CO2 into the water before pushing it to the tank. The smaller of the two is moving water at approx 160gph to the tank. Now my theory is if the CO2 hasn't been fully absorbed into the water by the time it hits the second powerhead, the travel through that powerhead and up the tube to the tank SHOULD be enough to get the vast majority, if not all, the CO2 absorbed. It may be kind of hard to see but there is a tiny little tube coming from my DIY CO2 bottles, that will be pushing the CO2 into the sump and will be placed right below the outlet of the larger powerhead so the bubbles go directly into the current. I have a THIRD powerhead I can put in the sump with the other two if it turns out to not be enough current with just two.

This is my current CO2 setup. Using two 2L bottles to produce CO2 as well as an extra chamber to catch any liquid that has made it through the process. All the tubing is CO2 resistant, and the valves are rust resistant. Check valve after the capture chamber to ensure no water flows back into my system. I may add a little something on the end of the CO2 tube that is going to the sump to break up the bubbles and make it an overall easier process for my two sumps.

Now...in my mind there is absolutely no reason this wouldn't work other than the CO2 not properly flowing in the first place. But that is a whole different problem. I believe my multiple powerhead/sump situation is going to work beautifully. Keep in mind all these products cost money, however I got it ALL free from my mother who quit the hobby after 15+ years, if added up I'm sure this would break close to even on one of the cheaper CO2 tank setups. But this is what I have, and this is what the DIY section is for :] Any feedback would be wonderful!

Last edited by Kirbybtf; 03-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: UPDATE
Kirbybtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

No one has input? Come on y'all! You're the pros at diy!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does the small pump have a venturi port on exit? It looks like you can T-line it with spare tubing and a 3-way splitter.

How big is your tank?

I have a 10 and 15 and they do just fine with a DIY Yeast CO2 line attached to a small Hagen pump's venturi port.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

What is a venturi pump? And it's 15g.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

That doesn't look like any powerhead I have seen. It looks like it is specially made for some specific usage. Can you remove the pump rotor to see what it is like? For a 15 gallon tank you don't need a big powerhead for CO2. Just a tiny little one like the Hagen Elite would be more than big enough.

Don't try to use this as is, or it can easily suck the DIY solutions into the tank. But, if you can remover the small diameter tubing and connectors leaving only the large diameter inlet to the pump rotor, you may find a way to make it work.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

It's a port usually attached to exit nozzle for air or in this case Co2
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh yes it does have one. I was afraid attaching the co2 line to that would create a suction and dry out my 2L bottles of co2 too quickly. That doesn't happen?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbybtf View Post
Oh yes it does have one. I was afraid attaching the co2 line to that would create a suction and dry out my 2L bottles of co2 too quickly. That doesn't happen?

Try it with a check valve, but make sure check valve is not submerged or maintain tubing above reservoir. Remember Bernoulli's principle!, but don't fear it.