Coffee Table/End Table Aquarium?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Coffee Table/End Table Aquarium?

Has anyone successfully constructed an attractive table-type aquarium? My new home does not have much living space for an aquarium (was hoping to have a Japanese style 40g breeder). So, I'm looking for creative DIY alternatives. Coffee table, maybe? Preferably on casters so I can move it for cleaning, etc. Thoughts? Am I crazy? (don't answer that)

12G Rimless Club
Alplily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

just google "coffee table aquarium" lots of options
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Moving any open top tank of water on casters seems like a way to wash the floor. I used to dream about making one of those coffee table tanks, but as I thought about all of the aspects of caring for it I dropped the whole idea permanently. Water sloshing is just one of the problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
caoder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Coffee Table/End Table Aquarium?

Also trying to hide equipment seems near impossible in my mind.

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk 2
caoder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
moonshinetheslacker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I personally believe the "coffee table" aquarium idea is sort of a bust regardless as how well it's put together. Maybe if you had a 30 foot long, 6 foot wide, 12 inch deep aquarium with sting rays (see thatpetplace in PA) you would have something pretty nifty. The main problem with the idea is that you need a fish that looks awesome from the top down. Trouble is, fish are hard to see from the top down (helps to keep from becoming a snack for predators) So here's what I recommend.

Find an area in the room you want to display your fish where you can hang a 14 inch deep book shelf (most book shelves are NOT 14 inches deep) Then figure out the height the book shelf needs to be at. There are numerous places above my couches and other pieces of furniture that I wouldn't mind seeing an aquarium.

After you find every place you could put an aquarium, I would recommend finding the place which has the best visibility with the least amount of PITA factor when performing maintenance.

I had a 75G aquarium that I set about 18 inches higher than your average aquarium. It made a GREAT impression for the room, but getting the stool out of the addition, running a hose out the window for water changes, and covering my dining room table with a plastic tarp before doing trimmings was a huge pain. This led to me cutting my maintenance back from once a week to once a month. No fish deaths, but the water wasn't too clear, and I had some algae problems.

If you still 'just can't' figure out a good place for the aquarium, take some pictures of the room(s) and post them. I absolutely love interior/architectural design challenges involving aquariums. "Hi, I'm Moonshine, and I'm an aquaholic."
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty
UGLY TANK
DIY Asian themed aquarium stand
moonshinetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, all. I had googled and a lot of them look really cool, but you have all confirmed the concerns I already had myself! I think at this point, a long, narrow tank might work behind the sofa, against the wall. But I will need to be mindful of maintenance, as you brought up. Do I really want to have to move the sofa every time I need to do a water change? I will keep you posted!

12G Rimless Club
Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

One thing to remember, you need a fish tank, you don't need a sofa!
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ha! I am willing to part with a TV (there's hardly anything worth watching, anyway), but I will not go sofa-less. Where would the cats sit?

12G Rimless Club
Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alplily View Post
Where would the cats sit?
On top of the aquarium!
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Look into a 12 gallon long aquarium. Mr. Aqua makes a nice, affordable one. They have a long, narrow footprint and would be great for sofa tables, kitchens, etc. My kitchen has a raised 'bar' type countertop that I'd love to put one on!
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #11
starquestMM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My 40b is built into and end table. There is 12" table between the arm of the sofa and the tank.

Its basically out in the middle of the room so maintenance is easy. The biggest challenge was fitting all of the sump and its equipment into the stand since it is lower than a typical aquarium ( did limit me to a 20long as a sump).

Mike
starquestMM is offline   Reply With Quote