Result of my addiction- 40B Build - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #31
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
For a 2L, I add 1.5 cups sugar, 1 tsp. baking soda, and (for about two week runtime) 1 tsp. Fleishmann's Active Dry (not fast rise), in that order. Then add lukewarm water to within 2.5" or so of the top, and shake the dickens out of it.

Almost nothing is critical, and I don't see anything wrong in your recipe. The only total recipe failure I've had is when I tried only 1/4 tsp. yeast in an attempt to get very long, slow production.

Rio 200, hmmm... Are you running CO2 into the venturi normally used for aeration? I have a Rio 50 used as a diffuser, and it does something weird. Instead of drawing in through the venturi, it pumps out. If the tubing is disconnected from the check valve, and held above the top of the water level, it'll shoot water a foot straight up into the air. It's enough back pressure to prevent any CO2 from coming out for a few hours when a new bottle is attached - during which time the check valve is locked tightly shut. If this is going on for you, it might take longer with the extra air space in your bottles.

Keep at it. Separate and test every part of the system individually. You will eventually find out what's going on.
You were spot on with the yeast amount, I upped my dosage and it finally activated. My set up is finally working and it's building up the pressure now to get to 1 bps, I'm at about 1 bp30s right now.

As for the Rio, I drilled a hole on the bottom, slatted intake cover and I'm just running the airline up into that. Mine didn't come with the venturi impeller adapter so that wasn't an option. I always thought the little outlet adapter you're talking about was just for that weird silencer thing that the pumps come with?

Thank you for all the help yesterday and today, I never expected DIY CO2 to be this much of a hassle! My final product was a 2L apple juice bottle, gatorade bottle bubble counter and my Rio pump. I managed to snap my check valve in half today pulling old airline off of it so i'm risking no valve right now
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #32
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
You were spot on with the yeast amount, I upped my dosage and it finally activated.
Great! I'm curious, how much yeast were you using before?

Quote:
As for the Rio, I drilled a hole on the bottom, slatted intake cover and I'm just running the airline up into that. Mine didn't come with the venturi impeller adapter so that wasn't an option. I always thought the little outlet adapter you're talking about was just for that weird silencer thing that the pumps come with?
You're doing it the more efficient way, in which the bubbles get chopped up by the impeller. I just needed a few ppm CO2 in an otherwise low-tech tank, so I did it quick and dirty and plugged it into the outlet adapter, which worked without surprises on some other powerheads. Never used the silencers, I'm tempted to dissect one and see what's inside.

Quote:
Thank you for all the help yesterday and today, I never expected DIY CO2 to be this much of a hassle! My final product was a 2L apple juice bottle, gatorade bottle bubble counter and my Rio pump. I managed to snap my check valve in half today pulling old airline off of it so i'm risking no valve right now
Sure thing! Murphy's Law at work, was the last thing we suspected. You'll be alright without a check valve for now, probably, just don't tell Murphy.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Great! I'm curious, how much yeast were you using before?

You're doing it the more efficient way, in which the bubbles get chopped up by the impeller. I just needed a few ppm CO2 in an otherwise low-tech tank, so I did it quick and dirty and plugged it into the outlet adapter, which worked without surprises on some other powerheads. Never used the silencers, I'm tempted to dissect one and see what's inside.

Sure thing! Murphy's Law at work, was the last thing we suspected. You'll be alright without a check valve for now, probably, just don't tell Murphy.
I was using 1/4 tsp which looking back doesn't seem like much at all lol.

I was using my Rio with that cover plate taken off at first with the filter cap thing that goes over the impeller but after having a danio get sucked into it, that quickly changed! I think I'm going to do the same with the silencer, I'm really curious as to how they work.

Murphy is public enemy #1 in my book
Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #34
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

Brewers talk about something called a "stall", when the nutrients in the brew are too little and diluted to maintain a viable yeast population.

In pure sugar water, the only truly nutritious thing is the yeast itself. So I suspect it's kind of the same thing. I've had success with 1/2 tsp., but haven't otherwise tested the lower limit, except for that one failed 1/4 tsp. attempt.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #35
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Made a short video of my tank
http://vimeo.com/62389823
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #36
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautiful and so very peaceful, Hunter!
-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #37
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

Love it. Nice camera work and touches on the video production, too.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I really love these tanks and want one so bad (searching craigslist daily). I will def be watching your progress. Do you have a pic of the tank on the stand? Im curious to see how it came out.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #39
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
I really love these tanks and want one so bad (searching craigslist daily). I will def be watching your progress. Do you have a pic of the tank on the stand? Im curious to see how it came out.
Just took an update photo actually. I'll try and get a full tank+stand shot tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #40
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Picked up 5 black Kuhli Loaches yesterday and they are adjusting very well. I plan on adding 2 more striped kuhlis later on.

Updated tank shot:

Next on my list is to get frosted glass film for the back of the tank to better hide the filter, wires and all that nastiness.

Last edited by hunterlook; 03-24-2013 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 03-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #41
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
Beautiful and so very peaceful, Hunter!
-Stef*
Quote:
Love it. Nice camera work and touches on the video production, too.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #42
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

So my CO2 is as close to where I want it as it can get. I'm getting about 3 bubble spurts every 5 seconds or so which isn't perfect but it will do for now. Took a quick video of everything running and amazingly enough, one of the kuhli's decided to come out and get his dirty mug on camera around the 40 second mark.

http://youtu.be/K5za3qqjR3Y
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #43
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

Still looking good, can see new growth since the previous vid.

All those bubbles driven into the water from the HOB carry CO2 away. As you continue tweaking, see if you can reduce that, which will help stretch your DIY mix.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #44
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Still looking good, can see new growth since the previous vid.

All those bubbles driven into the water from the HOB carry CO2 away. As you continue tweaking, see if you can reduce that, which will help stretch your DIY mix.
Oh wow, I was thinking that they were helping mix it into the water lol. I'll probably end up moving the pump toward the front of the tank, thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #45
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

Are all those bubbles from the pump/diffuser? If so, I take back what I said.

Churning CO2 bubbles around is good and helps dissolve it. It just looked like from the video that the Aquaclear was pushing air bubbles from the surface into the water, which is bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.