Looking for advice on some lighting.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Tinder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looking for advice on some lighting.

Hello, I have a 29 gal Bowfront shrimp tank that was just set up. I am currently using one of my storage 15w hood light because I am waiting a week or two before i buy a new lighting system and the glass canopy. im starting to plan, but am having trouble finding a reasonably priced light that has the wattage I would like . (2wpg min, would like a bit more) then I stumbled across these. the price is ridiculous and most of the reviews say that they are not the best, but bang for buck they are worth it. any thought or advice for me? I would really appreciate it

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4...re-p/52303.htm
Tinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Tinder
Algae Grower

oh I also live close to http://www.thatpetplace.com/ 's warehouse in case someone knows a good, bargin light on their site that i could just go buy.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Don't try to choose the light based on "watts per gallon". That won't work. Read http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368 for a much better way.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Tinder
Algae Grower

Thank you for the link Hoppy, I understand where you are coming from with that link, and tank you for showing it too me, but a PAR meter is not going to be something I have for quite awhile. Its hard to find the proper research on many of these fixtures.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
wildroseofky
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am going to buy the 24" two bulb light from them. According to the chart I keep getting recommended to me that I posted below, that will give me medium to high light depending on how low I hang it. I am on a tight budget and cannot afford to buy most of the lights people keep recommending. I did an internet search for reviews on the Oddysea and got mixed feelings. For the price,I think it would be worth a try. There is no way I could buy a par meter and I read through the same link that was posted and it made my head swim. I just want to grow a few plants. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote