How do I know if my lights are low med or high strength in proportion to my aquarium?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Jaques
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do I know if my lights are low med or high strength in proportion to my aquarium?

How do I know if my lights are low, med or high strength in proportion to the fish tank?

Usually we read that plants either need low, med. or high light. How can we determine what lights do we have or do we need for the plants to grow well? Is there some kind of equation??? Unfortunately most people that work in pet stores know nothing about lighting and plants. Please advice!

My fish tank is 20g long (16" high). I use 2 T5 HO bulbs by Zoomed.

One is Flora Sun and the other is Ultra Sun.
The Ultra Sun is 24watts and 6500K.

The Flora Sun is 5000K and also 24 watts.

Is the combination of those two good enough to grow Dwarf Baby Tears which needs high lighting?

I keep the lights for around 10-12 hours/day and have a CO2 system running when the lights are on.
Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Stitcher
Algae Grower

I'm trying to understand the lighting too, especially the LED's.

I have read the thread posted here by latchdan and I don't get it.
All the graphs and stuff, I'm sorry I'm not an idiot but it's doesn't make sense to me.

I just want to know which LED lights are good and how to pick one that will give me medium to medium-high light for my 20H and 55g tanks.
Stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Jaques
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Ok so based on all the info how would you rate my light with the tank?

My fish tank is 20g long (16" high). I use 2 T5 HO bulbs by Zoomed.

One is Flora Sun and the other is Ultra Sun.
-The Ultra Sun is 24watts and 6500K.
-The Flora Sun is 5000K and also 24 watts.

Is the combination of those two good enough to grow Dwarf Baby Tears which needs high lighting?

I keep the lights for around 10-12 hours/day and have a CO2 system running when the lights are on.
Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm not familiar with zoomed, how long is the T5-ho. to use the graph just find which type of light for instance LED or t5 and look which brand you use or what is similar then follow the inch depth you have such as 16". For instance a t5HO Fishneedit fixture that has 2 bulbs at 16inches is 38 par

For a corallife t5HO 2 bulb would be very similar too.
Quote:
Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems
That makes it medium light.

Quote:
Is a long duration I think you will only need 8 hours.

Quote:
I just want to know which LED lights are good and how to pick one that will give me medium to medium-high light for my 20H and 55g tanks.
20H is 16 3/4 inch high assuming 3 inch substrate and light on the lid would be 13 3/4 inches to substrate the finnex ray II 24 inch would give you 80 Par Raise the light to get less.

55 gal is 48 inches long by 21 inches tall assuming 3 inch substrate and light on top would be 18 inches. The marineland double bright would give something like 50 par which is medium to highlight. (These are LED not t5HO) Many manufactures will give a PAR value on the fixture box or possible supply one if you ask.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.