Newb Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
raulfd4
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Newb Questions

I want to make my first paludarium using some extra stuff I have.

What I have:
- 10 gallon aquarium
- AC20 HOB filter
- egg crate material
- window screen material
- silicone
- potting mix
- pool filter sand
- air pump
- airline tubing

Stuff I expect I will need:
- Lights
- Some type of sphagum moss/peat, peat moss, or coco peat.
- Aquarium safe expanding foam
- PVC pipe
- Automatic misting device of some sort (know nothing about this - is there a cheap DIY method of misting?)

I want to use the egg crate material, expanding foam, silicone, and PVC pipe to make a false bottom.

How can I successfully use the AC20 HOB? I was thinking of extending the intake and using the outflow as the top of a waterfall.

Can you turn the impeller on an AC20 into a submersible pump?

Is there anything else I will need to buy (aside from gathering rocks, stones, and plants?)

I do not intend on having fauna in this paludarium.
raulfd4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

10 gallons don't give you much room to work with. I already find them kind of cramped for an aquarium; but when you are using them for a paludarium, you loose quite a bit of an already small space to the bacground, substrate, etc.

I don't think you can really use a HOB filter like that. I know I've seen some keep running when the water level drops a couple inches during water changes. Also, I don't believe there is anyway to change it to a submersible pump. Most HOB have an external motor.

The best thing to do would probably just go and buy a small powerhead or fountain pump. You won't need a very high flow rate, so you can probably use the smallest one you can find.

From what I've read, I don't think there are very many viable DIY misters. I think you are probably going to have to either do it by hand, or invest in something like a mistking system (which is a bit much for 1 10 gallon).

Good luck
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
raulfd4
Algae Grower

Okay, I'll probably just punt on this one.

Thanks for saving me the headaches!
raulfd4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

ack. sorry, didn't mean to discourage you.

My first paludarium was in a 10-gallon, I siliconed lava rock allover the back, and built a ledge and a waterfall out of it. pretty low-skill, but took a bit of time, and a lot of silicone, and the tank was quite heavy when done.

you mentioned you weren't going to put any fauna in it, how about some sort of riparium? that would give you plenty of water volume, you could still use a HOB, and you could either use rafts, hanging planters, or even build a small ledge up high.

You already need to get lights, so maybe you could do a CFL brooder suspended over the tank or something.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.