Substrate/Lighting/Moss
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Substrate/Lighting/Moss

I just picked up a 15g rimless (25$!) and some dirt cheap Seiryu Stone (1.95$ a pound!) and am now deciding on substrate. I want some black substrate, I know there are like 10 different brands I can choose from, but honestly I'm fairly new at this and want some experts opinions! I am overwhelmed by the choices I have! I'm going to do the whole tank with 1 substrate, as in not mixing sand in with it. So something that looks good and fertilizes my plants preferably.

Additionally I have an 18" Marineland LED setup, the 300 Lumens one. Will that light be sufficient enough for my plants to grow? I'm looking to get a beautiful moss carpet and some small plants that will compliment the Seiryu Stones and moss.

Last question. Moss. I am a newbie and overwhelmed by the amount of plants available. I've been looking at the different types of moss and can't seem to find one I like. I got the idea from the ADA website where the stones had a beautiful layer of short fluffy moss on them. I would like something like that. Not too stemmy if you know what I mean. Essentially I don't want the viewer to be able to distinguish from two patches of moss that were planted separately. Any ideas?
Kirbybtf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump for questions.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

300 lumens is considered low light so you'll be fine with anubias, crypts and mosses.

some of the fancier mosses in those ada setups are actually bladderworts. you can get some really beautiful growth out of peacock and xmas moss tho... even regular java moss can be trimmed and grow densely.

im not a fan of black substrate having a 17 gallon of flourite for two years so i'd defer to someone else to comment here.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you for your input! I will look up those moss. Hopefully I can get everything to grow beautifully! May need to upgrade my lighting eventually for what I want.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
stevekx500
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

As far as substrate goes, since u want all black & if it was me I would use Seachem Flourite. U can get it as fine as sand as well a little more course. depends on what u like. Me personally I used the coarser kind in black mixed w/ Eco Complete.
stevekx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not sure on how fine I want it. Sand seems like it would be easier to maintain. And might be better for the pants to grow in.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
darthmilmo
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm going to run an experiment with organic dirt ($9) and non-scented clay-based kitty litter ($4 at Walmart) topped with black silica ($7, the kind sold at a tractor supply store and used for sand-blasting/welding). Apparently, the black silica is heavy on the iron side (but otherwise inert) so it's good to plants. BTW, the above prices are probably for a 75 gallon tank or more. I'm just using enough for a 20 gallon long.
darthmilmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Be sure to keep us posted on that!