Betta tank filtered vs non filtered
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Xavier10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Betta tank filtered vs non filtered

I have a 10 gallon betta tank decently planted. I mainly bought a whisper 10i filter just to promote oxygen in the tank by keeping the water moving. Today I decide to clean the cartridge a little with old tank water since it looked like it had a lot of algae on it. The rest of the tank has no algae.

Well my question is since my cartridge came apart and I won't have one for a while is it even worth putting one in?? I hear activated carbon helps keeps the water clear. It's only a betta fish I've done water test and everything stays pegged at 0.
Xavier10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The betta doesn't need additional oxygen in the water because they are labyrinth fish and have to take atmospheric oxygen. You don't need to worry about the dissolved oxygen levels.

I don't use carbon in my planted tanks because it competes with the plants for nutrients, but I do like to have some water movement in all of my tanks. I'd still plug it in just for that.

Goldfish | Community | Koi pond | Carnivorous Plants
the.koi.maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Xavier10
Algae Grower

Default Betta tank filtered vs non filtered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.koi.maiden View Post
The betta doesn't need additional oxygen in the water because they are labyrinth fish and have to take atmospheric oxygen. You don't need to worry about the dissolved oxygen levels.

I don't use carbon in my planted tanks because it competes with the plants for nutrients, but I do like to have some water movement in all of my tanks. I'd still plug it in just for that.
I know about the betta not needing it. I had it there for the plants since the suck up oxygen in darkness. I didn't know about the carbon competing for nutrients though. Thanks. It's plugged on just there's no cartridge.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
tekkguy
Planted Member

You don't need carbon, but you do need some kind of media in the filter. Bettas may live ok in a low oxygen environment, but you definitely want clean water!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Xavier10
Algae Grower

Default Betta tank filtered vs non filtered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
You don't need carbon, but you do need some kind of media in the filter. Bettas may live ok in a low oxygen environment, but you definitely want clean water!
Cool thanks. I still have some filter media ill cut some and throw in there.