API Test Kit & Drop Checker (2 Questions)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

API Test Kit & Drop Checker (2 Questions)

Question 1:
Is the API Saltwater master test kit any different from the freshwater? Saltwater tests for pH, ammonia, nitrate & nitrite. Will I get incorrect readings using the saltwater instead of the freshwater?
(They didn't have the freshwater in stock so I couldn't do a comparison)

Question 2:
Just got a Waterplant CO2 Indicator and want to check on usage? Says to add 1 cc every 2-4 weeks. I found something saying 1cc = 20 drops. Good advice?
Also when this solution runs out, where can I get more?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
homemadepopcorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

You shouldn't use a saltwater kit for freshwater and vice versa, the reagents are the same but the color cards are different. I don't know how inaccurate it will be but there is a reason that they make two versions of the kit. I can provide you a link with info, not sure if I can post it here.

1cc = 1mL which is roughly 20 drops, but a syringe would be better at measuring such a small quantity. If you have a drop checker, you need some kind of standard (usually 4kh) and the pH indicator drops. I don't quite understand what your setup is.
homemadepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

That indicator solution seems to be a mix of 4 dKH water and pH indicator solution. If so, you don't add any water to it. It should be blue when you first fill it, and change to green if you have somewhere near 30 ppm of CO2 in the water. If it isn't blue when you first add it to the drop checker, it isn't any good.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I thought the only difference with the Master saltwater is that it only has the high range pH. Everything else is the same is it not? I have both, but I never cared to try both on a fw tank.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That indicator solution seems to be a mix of 4 dKH water and pH indicator solution. If so, you don't add any water to it. It should be blue when you first fill it, and change to green if you have somewhere near 30 ppm of CO2 in the water. If it isn't blue when you first add it to the drop checker, it isn't any good.

I don't add any water, just the solution. The little guide thing shows blue, green & yellow so I imagine it'll be blue when I first put it in.

The box is mostly in Chinese, so I don't know too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn
You shouldn't use a saltwater kit for freshwater and vice versa, the reagents are the same but the color cards are different. I don't know how inaccurate it will be but there is a reason that they make two versions of the kit. I can provide you a link with info, not sure if I can post it here.

1cc = 1mL which is roughly 20 drops, but a syringe would be better at measuring such a small quantity. If you have a drop checker, you need some kind of standard (usually 4kh) and the pH indicator drops. I don't quite understand what your setup is.
I figured there was a difference between the two test kits, just wanted to make sure first.
I do have a syringe. I'll probably use that the first time to see if 20 drops is enough. It'd be a pain to use it over and over.