CFL Lighting: what is the general wattage that people use on a 10 gal tank? 11 " H - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
homemadepopcorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Lol, I'll bring the strobe light, you bring the music.
homemadepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #17
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Those spiral CFL bulbs aren't the same as the long tube fluorescent bulbs, in that they give different light intensity depending on whether they are horizontal or vertical above the tank, and in addition, the intensity you get depends a lot on how good the reflectors you use are. You can't generalize and say 2 x 13 watt bulbs will give X amount of light, unless you also say whether they are mounted horizontal or vertical, and what reflectors you use. Then you aren't generalizing, you are describing a specific light fixture.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #18
Crimson_Toast
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was thinking of doing a similar set up for my ten-gallon. A couple of metal clamp lights mounted about a foot above the tank fitted with CFLs. Any recommendations as far as bulbs? I want to shoot for med-high light.
Crimson_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #19
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

@Hoppy: I agree and thank you for your informative post

Crimson, I am thinking that at 1 foot above the tank (and you should make sure you can adjust it up or down from there) you should probably go with one bulb with at least 26 watts which should cover the entire surface of the water in the tank. The reduction of light per foot from source is a known equation. I'm hoping I guessed right on the bulb wattage- you might need even more watts.

At virtually 11" - 3" substrate, I am running 2 10w 6500K bulbs vertically oriented in "brooder" clamp-on fixtures that seem to be very good. Can't get the mouth to lie flat over the tank, though, but clamping onto a shelf above the tank would work fine. I have had algae problems with 2x 16w, but I worry that my ferts are not in balance - traces should be fine with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.

Sorry I haven't been around to follow this really interesting thread - my computer has been down for a few days.

Steven
Django is online now   Reply With Quote