Curing ich??? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #46
papwalker
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2655 View Post
Pap,

This is the UV I bought:

Amazon.com: Aquatop UVE13 UV Sterilizing Pump, 13-Watt: Pet Supplies

It's a nice, compact unit but what I like most is the adjustable flow control. The indicated max flow rate is 211 gph and it seems to be able to be reduced by more than half of that.

Oh yeah, and the replacement bulb is less than $15.00.

Regards,
-Gary
Thanks.
I might take a chance on one.
Need to figure out the Watt / surface / time stuff.
I hope it's not a token effort steriliser, it is cheap.

cheers

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #47
David P.
Algae Grower

Hi,
First... Thanks for all your tips.

What type of salt can i use?

I had to use a 2nd heater to increase my temp, i just installed it.
In the mean time, one of my friend gave me tetra ick guard, he apparently had good result with that. I did my first treatment yesterday.
Unfortunately i read after that it is not recommended with shrimps.... No casuallities so far...

Dave
David P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #48
ge2655
Algae Grower

David,

You can use non-iodized table salt, kosher salt or aquarium salt, any of these will work. Keep using the same medication, don't switch brands during treatment.

Please keep posting updates as to your progress.

Good luck.
-Gary
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #49
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
Hi,
First... Thanks for all your tips.

What type of salt can i use?

I had to use a 2nd heater to increase my temp, i just installed it.
In the mean time, one of my friend gave me tetra ick guard, he apparently had good result with that. I did my first treatment yesterday.
Unfortunately i read after that it is not recommended with shrimps.... No casuallities so far...

Dave
Maybe pull the shrimp out incase it does affect them?
Of course then you need another tank, heater etc.
Expensive thing this ich.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #50
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
What is it with loaches and ich. The last three cases I've seen (not my tanks) have all been related to clown or Pakistani loaches. Is it the loach breeders or the loach? People aren't buying them in the shops covered with spots, but soon after getting them home - pop, out comes the ich.
I think the loaches available in Australia come from SE Asian breeders but it seems a universal issue.
From all of the research that I have done regarding Ich is that it is always in your tank but lays dormant until fish become stressed in which it begins to affect them. (Correct me if I'm wrong, just everything that I have read) Loaches are prone to ich because they are scaleless fish which makes them more susceptible to diseases such as ich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrojodge View Post
So a uv lamp will eventually kill of ich?
When a UV light is used properly, yes it will kill the parasites that are in the water column as long as they go through the UV sterilizer with the proper flow. I have my outflow from my canister filter split and control it with a flow valve to reduce the amount of flow running through the tubing that runs to my UV sterilizer. My flow is about 100 gph which is the recommended gph to transfer through the UV sterilizer to reduce/kill waterborne parasites. When I had loaches I would run it only at night as I've read mixed reviews with UV sterilizers affecting fertilizers in the water column. Now that I don't have clown loaches anymore I use it during water changes for 48 hours and if any fish begin to look sickly I turn it on just in case.

If you are able to setup a hospital/quarantine tank then that can save you a lot of money in the long run. I was unable and am still unable to set one up at my location so I was constantly having to treat my 55 gallon/90 gallon aquarium with the medication which is extremely costly. The first time my loaches had ich I spent roughly $70-$80 in medication to treat my 55 gallon. I purchased my Coralife TurboTwist 3x for $115. When my fish got ich in my 90 gallon it was right before I was about to leave for vacation for 2 weeks. All I did was cranked the heat up to 80*-85* and turned my UV sterilizer on and popped an airline into it to increase the oxygen. I had my buddy who was taking care of my tanks watch for distress in the fish and told him to turn the temp down if anything looked odd. Nothing ever did and when I got home there was no more ich! This is just my experience with it. As someone told me, think of a UV sterilizer as an insurance policy. It's there in case **** happens.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #51
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
From all of the research that I have done regarding Ich is that it is always in your tank but lays dormant until fish become stressed in which it begins to affect them. (Correct me if I'm wrong, just everything that I have read) Loaches are prone to ich because they are scaleless fish which makes them more susceptible to diseases such as ich.
This is a myth that refuses to die.
Here is more than you ever wanted to know...
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

Quote:
When I had loaches I would run it only at night as I've read mixed reviews with UV sterilizers affecting fertilizers in the water column. Now that I don't have clown loaches anymore I use it during water changes for 48 hours and if any fish begin to look sickly I turn it on just in case.
Very sensible.
IMO If the model purchased does work as advertised then it also kills stuff we should keep.
Although I admit to never haveing used one. Never had the need.
But I'm thinking of getting one of the in tank units for the QT tank.

It may well be a piece of kit everyone should have in the fish cupboard.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #52
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
From all of the research that I have done regarding Ich is that it is always in your tank but lays dormant until fish become stressed in which it begins to affect them. (Correct me if I'm wrong, just everything that I have read)
Can we lay this myth to rest finally?! Where do people supposely read these facts from??? Ich is an organism (protozoan to be exact) and it has a finite life cycle, which is almost always less than two weeks long. It does not lay "dormant" for any longer than that! Once that time period is up, if the organism hasn't found a host, it will die due to starvation....just like any other organism. It does not just magically pop up in a tank that has never had an exposed fish in it before. And when you keep a tank fishless for at least two weeks....will self-eradicate of any possible ich. Period.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #53
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Where do people supposely read these facts from???
sigh.
No offence to JEden8, he's just believing what he's been told or read on the web.

It seems to me that the two most common things an fish keeping is water and fallacy.
Even the aquarium wiki has this little gem ...

denitrifying bacteria grows where there is no oxygen present and converts nitrogen back into ammonia

I've been duped myself in the early days by false dogma.
Now I'm just dogged by it.

Last edited by papwalker; 03-21-2013 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: politeness
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #54
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
This is a myth that refuses to die.
Here is more than you ever wanted to know...
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius
Good information!

Quote:
Can we lay this myth to rest finally?! Where do people supposely read these facts from??? Ich is an organism (protozoan to be exact) and it has a finite life cycle, which is almost always less than two weeks long. It does not lay "dormant" for any longer than that! Once that time period is up, if the organism hasn't found a host, it will die due to starvation....just like any other organism. It does not just magically pop up in a tank that has never had an exposed fish in it before. And when you keep a tank fishless for at least two weeks....will self-eradicate of any possible ich. Period.
As you could see in my post I had mentioned that this was just what I had read when doing research a few years ago. That is why I put the disclaimer to correct me if I'm wrong. I never stated that this is a fact but just what I had read over several forums and web pages regarding ich. So I apologize if I have offended you in any way in my post as it appears that I have.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #55
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
So I apologize if I have offended you in any way in my post as it appears that I have.
I'm sure he's not offended. It's just frustrating.

Anyway, now that we have rid the world of ich it's time to start on fungus. In particular the amazing result of a well controlled fungal infection called beer. With some pretzels and aquarium salt.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #56
David P.
Algae Grower

Quote:
Maybe pull the shrimp out incase it does affect them?
Of course then you need another tank, heater etc.
Expensive thing this ich.
My Tank is well planted and my drift wood is filled with hole that shrimp hide in... I will just hope for the best!! I dont want to wreck everything

Water is now at 28oC, 36 h in the treatment, white spots seems to be decreasing already!!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #57
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
So I apologize if I have offended you in any way in my post as it appears that I have.
No, no....no appologies needed! No offense taken at all. I just use plenty of question marks & exclamations in my posts all the time. Bad habit of mine.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #58
David P.
Algae Grower

Ok, i just added my 3rd tetra guard, i'm 48h in the treatment, 24h at 29-30oC. I don't see white spots on my tetra anymore!! 25% WC before each treatment.
No casuality so far... Not even a shrimp!
I believe it will be my last day on medic, i will keep temp for a few days just in case.

I did not had time to get salt, but since the ick seems to stop... I might stick with what i am doing.

I just hope that the 3rd dose will nt be lethal for my shrimps!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #59
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
No, no....no appologies needed! No offense taken at all. I just use plenty of question marks & exclamations in my posts all the time. Bad habit of mine.
Just wanted to make sure! I do that sometimes with caps lock in some emails at work and people take it the wrong way.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #60
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
Ok, i just added my 3rd tetra guard, i'm 48h in the treatment, 24h at 29-30oC. I don't see white spots on my tetra anymore!! 25% WC before each treatment.
No casuality so far... Not even a shrimp!
I believe it will be my last day on medic, i will keep temp for a few days just in case.

I did not had time to get salt, but since the ick seems to stop... I might stick with what i am doing.

I just hope that the 3rd dose will nt be lethal for my shrimps!!!
Good to hear that it is going away!