skin breakout after aquarium maintenance.....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
guitarsrmine
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

skin breakout after aquarium maintenance.....

Hello. Earlier today-after doing some plant maintenance.I noticed maybe 8 or 10 tiny bumps that were very itchy on the arm that I had just had in my aquarium. They weren't there until after I was done.........anyone else on here experienced this? My aquariums are both freshwater......plants are amazon swords. Cabomba.anacharis.pennyworth.various crypts.and Java ferns and Java moss. I use API carbon boost.and Tetra brand ferts
guitarsrmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
rawalstrom
Algae Grower

Always wash your hands and arms after playing in the tank. My wife tends to get itchy little bumps after doing aquarium maintenance unless she washes her exposed skin immediately afterwards.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Swimmers rash. I get it if I scrape my arms up on the trim or get rough with the towel drying off. Tends to happen during a rescape/fish chase.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Swimmers rash. I get it if I scrape my arms up on the trim or get rough with the towel drying off. Tends to happen during a rescape/fish chase.
Can get really bad if you've also scraped any nuisance algae from glass, etc. Depends on your overall skin sensitivity and any particular allergies you may not know you have. I can rub poison ivy on my arms, but once the oak leaves pop in May, I need a box of tissues strapped to my hip. When I had SW tanks, I never had issues handling Palythoa. Eventually read stories about folks that ended up in the ER from just sticking their hands in the same water.
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
okapizebra
Algae Grower

This usually happens to me when my hands are in my SW tanks too long, or when I'm mixing saltwater. The salt mix irritates my hands and arms a bit. I also have pretty bad dry skin, and my hands will be red and raw after doing tank maintenance not only from being in the tank, but from all the scubbing I do to my hands in the sink afterwards when washing them.
okapizebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
agentkhiem
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

This is why I don't do saltwater. lol
agentkhiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Silenced
Algae Grower

PTrader: (60/98%)

yup wash throughly after all the time...algae, spores, bacteria, you never know whats in there. Freshwater does not always mean it is fresh enough for you to drink...
Silenced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
agentkhiem
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenced View Post
yup wash throughly after all the time...algae, spores, bacteria, you never know whats in there. Freshwater does not always mean it is fresh enough for you to drink...
Nah, if it's got Purigen you should be fine.
agentkhiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Same exact thing happens to me. I got an allergy test done a while back where they prick your arms a billion times and I was allergic to some ridiculous amount of plants so I'm assuming I'm allergic to something in my tank as well. I usually wash my hands and arms right after I'm done then rub lotion on the irritated skin and it's all good after that!
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Be on a lookout in case the rash spreads and you get swollen lymph nodes- these are symptoms of Fish TB and you'd need to go to your doctor for treatment as it's one of the few things that we can actually catch from fish. I've known a few people who came down with it, they had to go on the same medication used to treat "normal" human TB.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Katey
Planted Member

What a lovely new thing to learn today!
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

look up Allergic contact dermatitis. Probably what it is. Do you have a picture?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #13
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katey View Post
What a lovely new thing to learn today!
Yeah, chances are that's NOT it- but people do need to be aware, as it IS out there :/
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
foster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Myco(fish TB) wouldn't show up that fast. It will take the form of an open sore, or single larger red bump. In my experience anyway.
foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
zdnet
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsrmine View Post
Hello. Earlier today-after doing some plant maintenance.I noticed maybe 8 or 10 tiny bumps that were very itchy on the arm that I had just had in my aquarium. They weren't there until after I was done.........anyone else on here experienced this? My aquariums are both freshwater......plants are amazon swords. Cabomba.anacharis.pennyworth.various crypts.and Java ferns and Java moss. I use API carbon boost.and Tetra brand ferts
If your tanks have aphids, they could get onto your arm and try to pierce through your skin to suck up plant sap via their rostrum:

Aphids are known to transmit plant viruses. Here is an illustration (containing page):

Your itchy sensation could be caused by the insects trying to pierce through your skin with their rostrum. Your skin bumps could be your body's immune response to the transmitted plant viruses.
zdnet is offline   Reply With Quote