Need an Aquaclear Expert
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Need an Aquaclear Expert

I have 2 Aquaclear 30s. The water in the filter box appears to be bypassing the sponge and media and returning to the tank unfiltered. It gets sucked by the intake tube and into the left side impeller chamber then that chamber fills to the top of the basket on the right side, spills over the top of the basket and falls back into the tank via the spillway. Some water might be making its way thru the sponge but most just bypasses its way back into the tank. Could this be right? I have a 110 running on another tank and the water in the left chamber comes just to the top of the basket but dosen't spill over into the right side. The 110 has holes in the side of the basket that look like they let water go from right to left without being forced under and thru the sponge. How the hell can this be efficent? Does anyone he know exactly how these filters work?
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

The sponge may be saturated and need a cleaning..

filters serve to move water around porous surfaces where bacteria live. Its just doing a less efficient job when bypassing the media.

i generally only run Aquaclears with sponges and no other media... some i double up on sponges...seems to fit the bill
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Seems like acitydweller may have hit on the right button here.
How long has it been since you cleansed the bottom sponge in that filter ? It may be so full of crud it's not allowing any water flow though it.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
Shangrila
Planted Member

Both AC30s are brand new(1 week in service). The 110 has been running for about 5 months on another tank.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
ge2655
Algae Grower

You can also try slowing down the flow by sliding the intake tube towards the sponge chamber.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
Shangrila
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2655 View Post
You can also try slowing down the flow by sliding the intake tube towards the sponge chamber.
The 30s bypass on low or high flow. I almost think that they are made to bypass for some reason.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
thinBear
Planted Member

The overflowed water seems already got filtered. You can feed some small soft objects into the water intake and check if they got trapped.

this is what i think, but not for sure.

Last edited by thinBear; 03-21-2013 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: add a diagram
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have a AC20 and noticed that bypass when I 1st got it brand new. I messed with it a few times and eventually gave up on it and left it alone. Filtered fine. A few months later, got a AC50 brand new and also had the same bypass but filtered fine. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I think it's ok
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (239/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila View Post
I have 2 Aquaclear 30s. The water in the filter box appears to be bypassing the sponge and media and returning to the tank unfiltered. It gets sucked by the intake tube and into the left side impeller chamber then that chamber fills to the top of the basket on the right side, spills over the top of the basket and falls back into the tank via the spillway. Some water might be making its way thru the sponge but most just bypasses its way back into the tank. Could this be right? I have a 110 running on another tank and the water in the left chamber comes just to the top of the basket but dosen't spill over into the right side. The 110 has holes in the side of the basket that look like they let water go from right to left without being forced under and thru the sponge. How the hell can this be efficent? Does anyone he know exactly how these filters work?

Replaced the sponge.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Shangrila
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinBear View Post
The overflowed water seems already got filtered. You can feed some small soft objects into the water intake and check if they got trapped.

this is what i think, but not for sure.
Looking at this picture(especially the one on the right) it seems to make more sense. The water that looks like it is being bypassed is actually returning to the intake port to be refiltered. Kind of a cool idea actually. Thanks.

Last edited by Shangrila; 03-22-2013 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: left out some words

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.