microctenopoma ansorgii
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
chomper149
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

microctenopoma ansorgii

anyone with experience? just picked one up today and he is super shy. Hear they are slow to get used to change but anything ican do to get him to come out? dithers? he just hides under the driftwood in the back of the tank. been in for a few hours and has already chomped a bunch of blackworm.
Also do they prefer to be in groups? or solo? figured id only get one to eliminate fighting.
But i hope he will come out more, hope he just doesnt hide in the back all the time.
chomper149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
chomper149
Algae Grower

no ones kept these?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Fishermike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Pretty rare fish in the hobby. I did a Google search and came up with quite a few hits, though, so if you do the same, you'll get the info you're looking for.

Look like cool fish - congrats on the score!
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
chomper149
Algae Grower

yeah ive researched a lot of the fish, but no real experience. No idea if they do better in groups or what and would just like some real experience than simple how to instructions
Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
chelseab
Algae Grower

I have one right now. Had two, but the more dominate and colorful one died out of the blue recently. Once they are acclimated they are pretty tough little fish and very beautiful. There will be aggression if you have more than one. I had two in a 55 and I saw some occasional chasing. Mine eat everything, but a lot of times they need to start out on frozen or live foods.
chelseab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
chomper149
Algae Grower

how shy are yours? mine has literally been glued to the back of the tank behind a log since i bought him.
At light when i flash a light on him though he sees his own reflection and puts out beautiful colors and a display. simply beautiful, assume its cuz he sees "another" male.

He has def be coming out a little more and swimming within a 3 inch radius of his cave.
How does yours do with lights? getting some floaters soon for shade for him, but right now hes in a higher tech tank. 5gallon with 14w CFL with hc, crpys, ludwigia, javamoss, java fern,
tanks not fully planted yet since i set it up a little early for him. was dry starting for a months already/ wanted the javafern to fully attach before filling.

i just hope he comes out more and isnt glued to the cave. But in your opinion just keep one?
Also guys he 99% sure wont stay in the 5, unless he stays as inactive as he is. but this tank was originally made for shrimps, so i may have to set up his own tank later

edit: Any pics of your tank? how did they behave? other tankmates? thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.