First tank-Jumped in deep and need advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
mike-guy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First tank-Jumped in deep and need advice

Ok so I was able to grow some stem plants and have Dwarf Hairgrass not die in a 10gal with 1.5wpg and a few fish. Came across a bunch of tank stuff and went for it. It appears fully cycled with zero Ammonia- zero Nitrites- and about 25ppm Nitrates. Here is the setup.

20-Long W/open top rimless

1-36in T8 5k and a 1-18in T8 8k (yes it hangs over but it was free)

Floramax substrate

Paintball CO2 injected into a powerhead

It has 2 dwarf gourami's and 10 zebra danios

I'll try and get true plant names but I have a large sword-java fern-anubius-DHG and some stuff that was given to me.

I made a drop checker with 4dKH and have it lime green.

Using a 10hour photoperiod.

Dosing the green fert pack from GLA according to their suggestions and following the 50% week water change.

I have lots of growth but things don't look good. Slight browning on lots of leaves, some are pretty bad, and many are curling inwards. My total investments are about 140 bucks so I feel good about it but I'm way to new to understand whats missing. It's been up for about a month so maybe just time is needed?
mike-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
mike-guy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well found at least one problem. I was mixing my micro and macro's together and dosing all of them from the same bottle. Fix one. Next I had some plant that Petco sold me that had some nasty algea, maybe BBA, all over it and was wrecking my plants. So after removing that plant entirely, removing infected leaves from others and sorting out my ferts somewhat I'm feeling better. My java fern still won't grow and my dwarf hairgrass still won't send runners but in time I hope. Also got 2 blue rams and am excited and nervous about them. I will almost promise they have been injected with hormones cause at under 1 inch these things are incredibly vibrant.
mike-guy is offline   Reply With Quote