Dead fish, it's a mystery
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
HamToast
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dead fish, it's a mystery

Earlier today I noticed one of my fish was dead, and I have no clue whatsoever as to how it passed.

The fish was previously very healthy and normal, but today it was dead and appeared torn up. Not sure if it had been dead overnight and picked at, or if the other fish bullied her to death. Although, there was no previous bullying in my tank. All of the other fish seem fine.

It's a bad time for this to happen, because I'm going to be out of town for a few days and can't keep an eye on the tank. Water parameters are all optimal.
HamToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

It would help a lot if you state what kind of fish you have
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
HamToast
Planted Member

The fish in question is a Yellow Lyretail Molly. I have another one of those, a pair of Dalmatian Mollies, a dozen cherry barbs, a pair of bumblebee platys, and that's it.

Wasn't really overly concerned with answers, I can't see how anyone would be able to diagnose what killed the fish based on the limited information that even I have.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamToast View Post
Earlier today I noticed one of my fish was dead, and I have no clue whatsoever as to how it passed.

The fish was previously very healthy and normal, but today it was dead and appeared torn up. Not sure if it had been dead overnight and picked at, or if the other fish bullied her to death. Although, there was no previous bullying in my tank. All of the other fish seem fine.

It's a bad time for this to happen, because I'm going to be out of town for a few days and can't keep an eye on the tank. Water parameters are all optimal.
I can't see any reason why a fish can't have a sudden death. Congenital problem or whatever. Two deaths is alarm time. I always assume other fish playing waste not want not when a body is in a 'ragged' state, rather than a sudden mauling. (I don't keep bettas or sticklebacks)

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small

Last edited by papwalker; 03-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: grammar
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamToast View Post
The fish in question is a Yellow Lyretail Molly. I have another one of those, a pair of Dalmatian Mollies, a dozen cherry barbs, a pair of bumblebee platys, and that's it.

Wasn't really overly concerned with answers, I can't see how anyone would be able to diagnose what killed the fish based on the limited information that even I have.
Then why make a thread about it?

None of those fish sound like the bullying type. Probably just a freak occurance. People die randomly too, you never know what could have happened. The body is probably torn up from other fish eating it after it died.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
HamToast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
Then why make a thread about it?

None of those fish sound like the bullying type. Probably just a freak occurance. People die randomly too, you never know what could have happened. The body is probably torn up from other fish eating it after it died.
I guess I was kinda looking for confirmation that a random death is normal from time to time. I'm relatively new to fish keeping and this is my first unexplained loss.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Mollies can be somewhat territorial and pushy, I had one that was quite aggressive. Claimed all of a 4' long tank, and would not allow other Mollies in the tank.

I would not keep Mollies and Platies in the same tank. Mollies thrive in very warm water, Platies are cooler water fish. Almost no overlap of temperature preferences.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
HamToast
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Mollies can be somewhat territorial and pushy, I had one that was quite aggressive. Claimed all of a 4' long tank, and would not allow other Mollies in the tank.

I would not keep Mollies and Platies in the same tank. Mollies thrive in very warm water, Platies are cooler water fish. Almost no overlap of temperature preferences.
I haven't had any previous issues with bullying, so I don't really suspect that.

As for plates and mollies, I thought they required fairly similar conditions. In any case they both appear healthy (minus this death) and I do not have a large enough tank to move the plates into at the moment.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Had a mysterious death of my own a few weeks back, although mine was an Oto. Tank has been setup for about 5 months now with zero issues and the other 3 Otos are doing fantastic, all fat and happy. Out of the original 4, one seemed to be a 'loner', never around the other 3. Possibly bullied? Although uncommon with Otos as usually the more the better.

Sometimes fish just die. Could be their time, could be another factor but unless you have visible proof, hard to say. As previously stated, one death isn't much to worry about. More deaths = time to panic and do pwc like a madman
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote