Mystery invert question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
jeremy va
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mystery invert question

I found some of these guys in two tanks today. Both have had plants from a plant vendor in them and both have had moss covered rocks in them from a local stream. They may be planeria of some kind which I've not seen before, but they are way bigger than the ones I've seen - about 2" when fully extended and they don't have the planeria "ears". They are pretty amazing: they seem to move about under the substrate in little tunnels (some run along the side of the glass) and come out and ooze about during the day or night. Their rear end (I'm guessing here) has some sort of sucker on it and they stick to the glass with it then sorta rear up and stretch out. The remind me of inchworms. Their front end is much narrower. They also swim like eels. I've used google images and done several searches on terms like "brown planeria". There is an aquatic earthworm that sorta fits the bill. There is something called a Ribbon Leech which supposedly has a sucker on both ends but I don't see a sucker on the front end of these guys. I even tried "leeches in my fish tank" but only got a very funny string on the Barr Report where it sounded like nobody could positively ID them either. Anybody know what they are?
Attached Images

jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
stevekx500
Algae Grower

Those look like leeches...
stevekx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
stevekx500
Algae Grower

Also, what I would do if all else fails is take those photos & send them 2 your state conservation dept or someone similar & have someone look @ em & they might b able to tell u or send u or the pics 2 someone who can... Good look & if u do find out what they r let us know cause I'm curious myself 2 know what they really r.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Fishermike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

+1 on leeches.
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Definitely look like leeches.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Garethmob
Algae Grower

Default Mystery invert question

Leeches they look like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys
Garethmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
bgallodoro24
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 leaches
Fluval Pimp #37
bgallodoro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
jeremy va
Planted Member

Anyone know absolutely, definitely for sure?

I mean, I thought they looked leech like. But they also look worm-like. There are rather many different leeches and I would also like to know what kind this is (if it is a leech). Leeches are supposed to have two suckers (front and rear). This one has a rear, for sure, but I've not seen a front one in action. They must also have "34 actual segments" but I can't count them -- too small. There are also aquatic earthworms though I don't think an earthworm would have a sucker.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tiger leech...not a tiger leech as they are giant and from like the congo river, but it does look like, Hirudo verbana. They use to use this as a medical leech....
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
stevekx500
Algae Grower

Your location on your profile says "Va" so I am assuming u live n Virginia If so, here is the VA Dept of Conservation info. Give em a call or shoot an email 2 em. That's what I would do. What do u got 2 loose? Good luck & hope this helps

Department of Conservation and Recreation
203 Governor Street | Richmond, VA 23219-2094
(804) 786-1712

Please send website comments to web@dcr.virginia.gov
Address general inquiries to pco@dcr.virginia.gov
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

A sucker is a pretty classic indicator for leeches. It may not use the front one- I've seen ones that primarily hang on with the posterior sucker and crawl around and stuff.

Leeches and earthworms are both annelid worms, so there will be some similarities (ringed/segmented body plan, etc.), for what that's worth.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
jeremy va
Planted Member

Stevekx500, OK, I sent the VCR an e-mail. They will probably be here at 4 am kicking down the door when they come to arrest me for having some sort of dangerous invasive species. I'll blame you. (:-)

(This actually happened to someone who posted on a forum regarding Cana snails (which are eating FL). Apparently the person posted on the fact that they kept some in tanks and received a visit from the appropriate authorities who demanded they hand over the prohibited snails...)

Thanks, though!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
stevekx500
Algae Grower

Good luck 2 ya. Something like that = not knowing what that is, would drive me nuts. Not tryin 2 b pushy or tellin u what 2 do but that's the only thing I could think of doin 2 find out the true answer. That or maybe someone @ a university
Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #14
jeremy va
Planted Member

OK, so I got a call from a biologist associated with parks and recreation -- nice guy. Told me for sure it is a leech. However, species will remain a mystery bcse they are extremely hard to ID without a microscope and some reference books. Good news is that it is probably a vegetarian. Actually it is probably a vegan. There's an irony. Thanks for the help folks!