Questions on Eheim Aquastyle and others - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #16
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Have you tried to see if there are any local fish stores in your area? I personally won't buy much from Petsmart unless I have to. They might have some equipment that I need from time to time, but I always promote supporting local fish stores whenever possible. They will also have a much better inventory for hobbyists like us than a chain store like Petsmart imo. Seriously, find an LFS(local fish store). Having berried shrimp is exciting for sure, but by setting your tank up for success you should see many more berried shrimp in the future. The cycling process is Very important for shrimps, and you did jump the gun a bit in that sense. It's ok, as I said, cherries are very hardy shrimp. I say, return all the decorations you have back to Petsmart, and take that money to an LFS to buy more plants. You can worry about rocks later, if budget is an issue. Usually local fish stores have a decent rock selection as well. Plants absorb bad stuff, and your tank is not cycled, so the more plants, the better. Plus, we didn't join a planted tank forum for no reason right? At least pick up some moss if nothing else. My main concern is that because you already have the shrimps, the initial cycling process after putting in the new substrate may stress them too much and you could lose some if not all. It helps to do some research and learn how the cycling process works if you haven't already. You could probably keep them in the bowl for at least a week, especially if there's a few plants in there and your doing small daily water changes. Keep us posted.
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
Have you tried to see if there are any local fish stores in your area? I personally won't buy much from Petsmart unless I have to. They might have some equipment that I need from time to time, but I always promote supporting local fish stores whenever possible. They will also have a much better inventory for hobbyists like us than a chain store like Petsmart imo. Seriously, find an LFS(local fish store). Having berried shrimp is exciting for sure, but by setting your tank up for success you should see many more berried shrimp in the future. The cycling process is Very important for shrimps, and you did jump the gun a bit in that sense. It's ok, as I said, cherries are very hardy shrimp. I say, return all the decorations you have back to Petsmart, and take that money to an LFS to buy more plants. You can worry about rocks later, if budget is an issue. Usually local fish stores have a decent rock selection as well. Plants absorb bad stuff, and your tank is not cycled, so the more plants, the better. Plus, we didn't join a planted tank forum for no reason right? At least pick up some moss if nothing else. My main concern is that because you already have the shrimps, the initial cycling process after putting in the new substrate may stress them too much and you could lose some if not all. It helps to do some research and learn how the cycling process works if you haven't already. You could probably keep them in the bowl for at least a week, especially if there's a few plants in there and your doing small daily water changes. Keep us posted.
Sorry, I don't know of any lfs that is around my area. And what does imo mean? And yes, I am on a budget, and right now this is all I can afford. No more plants until I am very for sure certain that I can, and have the confidence of raising shrimp. Otherwise, the money spent on the tank is doing down the drain. Moss is way too much right now for me, but in a couple of months, that shouldn't be an issue. The substrate should be arriving today, and right now, everything is a mess for me. About the putting shrimp in a bowl thing, I don't know if the plants are going to survive the whole week, and I know it may very well be stressful for the shrimp, I have no idea what to do right now. Any ideas and steps on how to get the tank back on track? Okay, please tell me what to do when I get the substrate, starting from here: 1. The substrate arrives.
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

Learn the powers of Google my friend. I googled austin, tx local fish store and it found quite a few there in Austin. Planted tanks aren't difficult unless you make them that way, as not all plants have advanced requirements. Don't Give Up, and don't think of it as temporary. Okay, so IMO ( in my opinion), this is what you need to do. First, you need to SLOW DOWN. The best thing you can do for your planted tank and it's inhabitants is to take it slow and do everything with a purpose and end result in mind. So, IMO ( in my opinion) these are the steps to take, what I would do.
1. The substrate arrives.
2. Go to computer and Google Austin, Texas local fish store
3. Find receipt for Petsmart, return some stuff, get my funds together
4. Go to Local fish store, it would also be even better if you call them beforehand to find out if they carry live plants and what their selection is like.
5. Talk to someone there, start building a relationship with someone local who you can turn to for questions. This forum is great, but it's important to be involved with the local community of fish and plant people if possible.
6. Moss is cheap, GET SOME! I'm telling you, if you care about your shrimp as much as you say you do, get some moss. Christmas moss is pretty common, something like that. They will love you for it.
7. Go home smiling, moss in hand. Look at your tank, take a deep breath, and tell yourself " I can do this".
8. Drain water into the temporary housing for your plants and shrimp, like you are doing a water change. Fill it up. This will be their "tank" while you're working on the Aquastyle.
9. Put your existing plants and hopefully the moss you have purchased into the temporary tank.
10. Catch the shrimp and transfer them to the new tank, one by one if you have to.
11. Drain the rest of the water, but don't get rid of it, it will go back in the tank in a moment.
12. Pour the old gravel out, putting a little of it in the temporary tank, gently, so the shrimps will have something else to crawl on.
13. Forget about the rest of the gravel.
14. Pour the Fluval substrate into the tank, creating a slope that is higher in the back and slopes to the front.
15. Tell yourself, "I'm getting closer to having an awesome planted shrimp tank!"
16. Put the water you drained back in, but PLEASE pour it onto something to break the flow, not directly onto the substrate. Like a plate for example.
17. Fill the tank the rest of the way with dechlorinated water and maybe add some of that starter bacteria you have.
18. Turn your filter back on.
19. Let your tank run like that for TWO weeks. I know this will be hard to do, but it is the best thing. Letting the tank cycle for at least two weeks will help prevent shrimp deaths. Your shrimp will be ok. I had cherries get berried in a half full 10 gallon with not filter running, no light directly on the tank, no heater. What did I have in there? MOSS hehe .
20. For plants to survive, they need nutrients and light, and that they don't get too cold. The temperature of your home here in Texas should be fine. If you want to try shining your aquastyle light over the temporary tank for 6 hours a day or so, that would be fine. Or not at all and I'm betting they won't completely perish. As far as nutrients, again, 2 weeks likely won't kill them off.
21. You can do very small water changes on both tanks if you want during this time, but it isn't completely necessary.
22. After two weeks, take a sample of your water from the Aquastyle to your Local Fish Store and let them test it to see if your cycling process is complete. If it looks pretty good, your in business. Maybe buy some more plants while your there if you can.
23. Now it's time to put it all back together. Plant the plants into the substrate, but not the moss, it doesn't get planted in substrate.
24. Either catch the shrimp and put them in the tank, or drain the water way down in the temporary tank and pour it into the Aquastyle with the shrimps after you take everything out of the temporary tank and drain a little water out of the Aquastyle.
25. Now, RELAX. Just let the tank do it's thing for a week or two. During this time, be thinking about what else you want to do with the tank.
26. Do some RESEARCH!!!!!
27. Seriously, Google Eheim Aquastyle 4 planted tank and see what comes up.
28. Update regularly here, with pictures whenever possible.
29. Have FUN!
30. Any questions?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
Learn the powers of Google my friend. I googled austin, tx local fish store and it found quite a few there in Austin. Planted tanks aren't difficult unless you make them that way, as not all plants have advanced requirements. Don't Give Up, and don't think of it as temporary. Okay, so IMO ( in my opinion), this is what you need to do. First, you need to SLOW DOWN. The best thing you can do for your planted tank and it's inhabitants is to take it slow and do everything with a purpose and end result in mind. So, IMO ( in my opinion) these are the steps to take, what I would do.
1. The substrate arrives.
2. Go to computer and Google Austin, Texas local fish store
3. Find receipt for Petsmart, return some stuff, get my funds together
4. Go to Local fish store, it would also be even better if you call them beforehand to find out if they carry live plants and what their selection is like.
5. Talk to someone there, start building a relationship with someone local who you can turn to for questions. This forum is great, but it's important to be involved with the local community of fish and plant people if possible.
6. Moss is cheap, GET SOME! I'm telling you, if you care about your shrimp as much as you say you do, get some moss. Christmas moss is pretty common, something like that. They will love you for it.
7. Go home smiling, moss in hand. Look at your tank, take a deep breath, and tell yourself " I can do this".
8. Drain water into the temporary housing for your plants and shrimp, like you are doing a water change. Fill it up. This will be their "tank" while you're working on the Aquastyle.
9. Put your existing plants and hopefully the moss you have purchased into the temporary tank.
10. Catch the shrimp and transfer them to the new tank, one by one if you have to.
11. Drain the rest of the water, but don't get rid of it, it will go back in the tank in a moment.
12. Pour the old gravel out, putting a little of it in the temporary tank, gently, so the shrimps will have something else to crawl on.
13. Forget about the rest of the gravel.
14. Pour the Fluval substrate into the tank, creating a slope that is higher in the back and slopes to the front.
15. Tell yourself, "I'm getting closer to having an awesome planted shrimp tank!"
16. Put the water you drained back in, but PLEASE pour it onto something to break the flow, not directly onto the substrate. Like a plate for example.
17. Fill the tank the rest of the way with dechlorinated water and maybe add some of that starter bacteria you have.
18. Turn your filter back on.
19. Let your tank run like that for TWO weeks. I know this will be hard to do, but it is the best thing. Letting the tank cycle for at least two weeks will help prevent shrimp deaths. Your shrimp will be ok. I had cherries get berried in a half full 10 gallon with not filter running, no light directly on the tank, no heater. What did I have in there? MOSS hehe .
20. For plants to survive, they need nutrients and light, and that they don't get too cold. The temperature of your home here in Texas should be fine. If you want to try shining your aquastyle light over the temporary tank for 6 hours a day or so, that would be fine. Or not at all and I'm betting they won't completely perish. As far as nutrients, again, 2 weeks likely won't kill them off.
21. You can do very small water changes on both tanks if you want during this time, but it isn't completely necessary.
22. After two weeks, take a sample of your water from the Aquastyle to your Local Fish Store and let them test it to see if your cycling process is complete. If it looks pretty good, your in business. Maybe buy some more plants while your there if you can.
23. Now it's time to put it all back together. Plant the plants into the substrate, but not the moss, it doesn't get planted in substrate.
24. Either catch the shrimp and put them in the tank, or drain the water way down in the temporary tank and pour it into the Aquastyle with the shrimps after you take everything out of the temporary tank and drain a little water out of the Aquastyle.
25. Now, RELAX. Just let the tank do it's thing for a week or two. During this time, be thinking about what else you want to do with the tank.
26. Do some RESEARCH!!!!!
27. Seriously, Google Eheim Aquastyle 4 planted tank and see what comes up.
28. Update regularly here, with pictures whenever possible.
29. Have FUN!
30. Any questions?
I was doing what you said, and now today, the plants AND the shrimp started to die. They are getting really white and curling up, is this a concern, or is it just a molt? 3 or so just died, so now, I'm left with another 3. What do I do?
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

If you added any water to the temp tank, make sure you de-chlorinated it. Otherwise there could be any number of reasons for this happening. Temperature shift possibly as well. I've done this before and didn't experience any issues, so I don't know for sure. Shrimp really should be added to a tank once it's been established and fully cycled. So you may end up having to do that if they don't make it. Sorry to hear that your having trouble. Don't give up, the real problem from the beginning was you rushed things a bit by not fully cycling the tank and adding shrimp too soon. Update when possible.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

Updates?