Angel fish - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #31
papwalker
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Really what you would post for optimum tanking conditions?
For the umteenth time I did not recommend that Angels be kept in that, I don't keep the in that. I merely pointed out the conditions that they can live in (during the wet season). ie: it doesn't mean a mandatory replacement the stock filter on the tank she was looking with some guru expensive canister.

In Australia we often refer to our rivers, especially in flood, as turbid muck and I would have thought in relation to the video people would know what I meant, and most did!

I mistakenly thought that this was an international forum and that I didn't have to choose phrases and word from a US culture guide to participate without being deliberately taken out of context to be jumped on by a forum hawk and a me too.

And as for mr "too much talk pseudo experience", I was quite shocked to see someone call anyone who might have different ideas a load-mouth liar on a forum.

Then this paragon says he's going to put them in a tank with OTS at pH5. Did you all question that??

And I'll tell you something else for free, if any country is considered a bunch of loud mouth braggart liars by the rest of the world, it's generally not Australia.

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small

Last edited by papwalker; 03-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: still upset
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #32
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
And I'll tell you something else for free, if any country is considered a bunch of loud mouth braggart liars by the rest of the world, it's generally not Australia.
I must apologise to Americans who probably don't deserve that jibe, but after keeping fish and studying for 35 years and be told it's pseudo like that is pretty upsetting.

Last edited by papwalker; 03-20-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #33
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Personally i dont see why everyone was jumping on papwalker as he didnt give any incorrect advise.

Humic substance releasers such as dead leaves are unmistakably beneficial to any aquarium, and it isnt about being tank bred or wild caught its beneficial for both, and for as long as tannin's stay in a tank water the only rapid water condition changes that might occur that could possible stress a fish is PH adjustment, but its slow leaching, slowly lowering, and slowly normalizes, slowly elevates as the leaves degrade, and breakdown.

Fish would also prefer blackwater biotopes opposed to bright lights overhead for your amusement. So if you were interested, go for it. Nothing wrong with it. Not be "pretty", and pat yourself on the back for, but it i'm sure the fish will like it more, and personally as a fish guy i'd be more impressed then your everyday mr clean tank.

And throwing terms around like breeders isnt a upper hand in any argument for fish talk. It isnt difficult, nor does it make anyone a expert, nor is anyone of them going to have the same experience or routine of practice.

& i love beer that looks like turbid muck, dont be hating

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 03-20-2013 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: added more, now leaving work
CrypticLifeStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Personally i dont see why everyone was jumping on papwalker as he didnt give any incorrect advise.

Humic substance releasers such as dead leaves are unmistakably beneficial to any aquarium, and it isnt about being tank bred or wild caught its beneficial for both, and for as long as tannin's stay in a tank water the only rapid water condition changes that might occur that could possible stress a fish is PH adjustment, but its slow leaching, slowly lowering, and slowly normalizes, slowly elevates as the leaves degrade, and breakdown.

Fish would also prefer blackwater biotopes opposed to bright lights overhead for your amusement. So if you were interested, go for it. Nothing wrong with it. Not be "pretty", and pat yourself on the back for, but it i'm sure the fish will like it more, and personally as a fish guy i'd be more impressed then your everyday mr clean tank.

And throwing terms around like breeders isnt a upper hand in any argument for fish talk. It isnt difficult, nor does it make anyone a expert, nor is anyone of them going to have the same experience or routine of practice.

I dont think anyone was jumping on him. Racer was just providing the alternative to it. I think that some of what was said was misconstrued a bit. He could be right about the cultural differences. I think what racer and I were more or less doing was giving another option. Different things in fish keeping work for different people
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #35
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post

Thanks mate.
Considering Tetra have been selling their Black Water Tonic for at least 40 years, I can't be the only pseudo experienced fool that enjoys keeping blackwater tanks or any other interesting biotope aquaria.

Let's let it drop shall we.
I'm too tired and busy for all this spectacle.

Last edited by papwalker; 03-21-2013 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: additional
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
bainrkm

I love my angels. I have 20g with breeding pair of orange koi, a 20 with breeding pair of orange koi male and marble female, and 30 gal with 5 orange koi and breeding pair of marble. I do weekly 20% water change and all are thriving
bainrkm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #37
Ceri-rust
Algae Grower

thanks, im seriously looking into a pair of koi or just traditional ones, how do you recomend getting a pair as theybare very hard to breeed andwont keep more than 4 i guess (with other fish)as theybare a centre peice fish...larges ones at that
Ceri-rust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #38
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri-rust View Post
thanks, im seriously looking into a pair of koi or just traditional ones, how do you recomend getting a pair as theybare very hard to breeed andwont keep more than 4 i guess (with other fish)as theybare a centre peice fish...larges ones at that
look to the membership over on TAFF II for local to you members to help with stocking options. Big Ben and others post regularly on the forum at times.
http://angelfish.net/VBulletin/index.php
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #39
xaqdaddy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Dont know what size tank you have

But the best way to get a pair is to get a group of six juveniles and raise them up together until they pair off.

There is a very good seller on Aquabid (River11) that also posts on TAF II. I have purchased from him before and highly recommend.
xaqdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have ordered fish through angelmania and from "Frank the Plumber" a user on http://angelfish.net/VBulletin/index.php. was very happy with both.

angelmania had some fantastic wild crosses and marbles that I really liked.

Frank had my favorites- solid black, velvet (?), long fin veils. Also got some nice rainbows from him that he also breeds.

The fish will be cheaper and better quality from a reputable breeder. Shipping may hurt a little but not much. When I ordered from angelmania I think I ordered 12, got 14 and payed about 48.oo which included shipping.

At 4 bucks a pop you can raise them for six months, pick out the best, then sell the extras for 10.00 or 20.00 locally. At six months you pretty large fish.
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

the poster is in the UK
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
the poster is in the UK

facepalm--

well then my BEST advice is to do what I did. Skip the pet stores, find a breeder and go visit his/her fishroom. I never appreciated an angelfish the right way until I got schooled!

Breeders that are really active in the hobby are years ahead of the fish farms that supply most pet stores that I have seen. Quality is the word.
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.