Welcome to the Jungle: 55 gallon Rainbowfish haven & more. (New Pics! 03-20-13) - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #241
Chaos_Being
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
WOW!!!

Your tank looks FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

I LOVE everything about it! Your Fish and Plant choices are spot on with what way I believe I want to take my 55g!

What Bulbs are you running? I have 2-48"T5HOs over my 55g now, but I am thinking of stepping down to 1 and using a smaller bulb like you do! I am needing to get bulbs pretty soon anyway, so it would make it easier just to by 1 T5HO!!

I read through most of the journal, but my back is killing me, so I will finish it tomorrow! OH and I totally understand about the A.D.D. with hobbies!!! I have a few tanks setup right now, but I also Fish, Hunt,Reload Ammo, Woodworking, Car Audio and Electronics, and a few other things as well! So I feel your pain when it comes to other things getting in the way!

Anyway keep up the good work on the tank!
drew
Thank you! I'm glad that you've enjoyed looking at my journal I'm running one 48" t5 (non-HO, but it is a double bulb,) and one 36" T8 of all things. The latter came with the used stand that I bought. When it dies, I'm probably going to replace it with LEDs...the casing on it is pretty beat up, but luckily it's hidden inside the hood. Sounds like you have a bunch of interesting hobbies too I might get into reloading myself sometime...as if I need more hobbies LOL.

It's been about a month, so new pictures! I took these the day after a water change. I do need to clean my canister filter, there are too many particles floating around. I finally had to cut back some of my Anubias as one rhizome in particular was up against the glass. I didn't remove it though, I just moved it back into the rest of the clump. That's pretty much the approach I've taken with this tank the entire time, very little plant mass gets removed other than dead leaves. Trimmings get re-planted or moved. Which is why it's such a jungle...

New FTS. My java fern is getting truly enormous now!

Left side, close up:

Right side, close up:

Side shot:

One of these days I'll get a better camera than the point-n-shoot I have. At least it takes nice outdoor photos, which is good since that's mostly what I got it for (hiking, it's a waterproof/shockproof camera. No worries about rainstorms or accidental drops.)
Chaos_Being is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #242
Chaos_Being
Planted Tank Obsessed

I forgot to give an update on the newest residents of my tank. The dwarf puffer is doing great, it (well, I think it's a she) has at least doubled in size in the past month. She must be annihilating the snails in there! There's no danger of the snail population ever being wiped out, but the little bastards do seem to hide a bit more, so they're more out of sight at least Speaking of out of sight, that's what the Amanos do. I know they're in there because I see their sheds, and they tend to come out during feeding time. Otherwise, they lurk in the java fern. It's fun to see them when they decide to come out, though. I actually like the fact that I can't see all of the fauna in my tank most of the time. That means that there is always something different to see when I look in there!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #243
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Simply beautiful, and more!

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #244
Chaos_Being
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you!

Appropriately for the first day of spring, my cories have been laying eggs today. Eggs, eggs everywhere. Which the other fish are, of course, promptly devouring
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #245
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Awesome job! I love the greenness of it.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #246
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

your tnk is beautiful. definitely a rainbow habitat!! I Love it!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #247
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Wonderful, CB!! What a healthy, thriving system you have there! I love the lush green; it's very understated to the eye, but full of so many different textures from the moss, anubia coffeefolia, Sag subulata, and java fern. The hardscape really draws your eye left to right and "down." The Rainbows are the emphasis, and are the perfect choice for this tank. Masterful work.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #248
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Beautiful setup! It's always good to see others out there with Boesemani's! You don't see a whole lot of people with them. I hope my tank gets to be as spectacular as yours!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #249
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do your plants ever block out so much light from each other that they die off? I wanted to plant some swords as close as you did but was afraid they would kill each other off if they were too close. Looks like you don't have this problem. How close are their roots together anyway?
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #250
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Wow! This is a beautiful tank! I've only had a chance to glance through some of your pictures but I will be back to read this thread. Such a lush green, healthy looking tank. It's awesome to see the progress over the last few years!
johnson18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #251
jmf3460
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

What I noticed more than the growth of your plants was the growth of your fish. Beautifully done! I like that it looks natural and not so manicured.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #252
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
What I noticed more than the growth of your plants was the growth of your fish. Beautifully done! I like that it looks natural and not so manicured.
haha! I see that too now! I'm so focused on plants these days that I rarely even pay attention to fish. I've got 4 tanks full of plants and only currently have fish in 1. lol
johnson18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #253
jmf3460
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
haha! I see that too now! I'm so focused on plants these days that I rarely even pay attention to fish. I've got 4 tanks full of plants and only currently have fish in 1. lol
I understand your sentiments exactly. I was a fish lover before a plant lover, but now sometimes it seems I worry more about the health of the fish than the plants. Sometimes I go over to a tank and give the plants food then walk away and realize "dang I didn't even give the fish food" which was why I originally walked over to the tank. Keep up the good work, when its time to trim that huge anubias, let me know
Old 12-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #254
Whiskey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fantastic thread, and fantastic tank! I always enjoy seeing tanks that are kept stable and thriving over the long term, there is a real talent to that.

Whiskey
Whiskey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.