Leaking Bowfront Aquarium, Need Help!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
snakeman1989
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Leaking Bowfront Aquarium, Need Help!!

So I went to do a water change yesterday on my 48g Bowfront only to notice the water level down about half an inch from the previous day. Then I looked at the base of the tank and saw water! I checked my hoses and airlines as well as the sides of the tank. No signs of leaking there, so I can only figure it has to do with the bottom seal.

Needless to say I tore down the entire tank within a couple hours, pretty upset that all my work had to be taken down. I dried out the floor and just finished cleaning out the tank with water and vinegar.

So far I'm hoping to get some more silicone sealant (I have a new tube already, just want some extra on hand) and go to town with a razor blade to replace the entire bottom seal.

I'm also going to shim up the bottom brace since I noticed it was loose.

Could anyone shed some light on re-sealing a bowfront?? I want to make sure I do this right the first time. I'm also still really bummed about it.
snakeman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Fishermike
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Main thing is prep. Get the tank absolutely clean and dry. Also, new silicone will not adhere to old silicone, so remove whatever you can reach that's inside the tank.

Then, run a continuous fillet down all seams. Good idea to do the upper rim, too, to prevent any capillary action.

What used to work well for me was to use painter's tape to mask off either side of each seam after I prepped the tank. Run a bead of silicone down each seam, then use your finger or a tool to make a small fillet that spans the joint. Peel off the tap, and viola! - nice, clean seams.

Take your time, and good luck!
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
snakeman1989
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Good idea on the painter's tape. I read that somewhere last night and forgot!

My carpet is pretty shaggy carpet, so the aquarium is a bit tippy. It doesn't get moved much, but I was going to get some scrap wood and put the base on the wood to give it more stability. It is possible the leak was from two things: the floor being unstable and the loose middle brace.

I'm a little nervous and the fact that I don't have much space to work (apartment) doesn't help either. Let's hope this works!
snakeman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman1989 View Post
Good idea on the painter's tape. I read that somewhere last night and forgot!

My carpet is pretty shaggy carpet, so the aquarium is a bit tippy. It doesn't get moved much, but I was going to get some scrap wood and put the base on the wood to give it more stability. It is possible the leak was from two things: the floor being unstable and the loose middle brace.

I'm a little nervous and the fact that I don't have much space to work (apartment) doesn't help either. Let's hope this works!
Both possibilities led to the leak. Take this time while you fix your tank and to make the area stable.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bowfront, leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.