Thinking about purchasing a canister filter for 40b, need suggestions - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thinking about purchasing a canister filter for 40b, need suggestions

Does the rena xp3 move more water per hour than the ehiem?

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Rcfan08
Algae Grower

Just pull out all the media and fill it with just substrat pro for the 2217. You'll like the results.
Rcfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Thinking about purchasing a canister filter for 40b, need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfan08 View Post
Just pull out all the media and fill it with just substrat pro for the 2217. You'll like the results.
What's substrate pro?

---
I give my fish coffee
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Over filtration is always a good thing, and the neat thing about eheims is that you can "throttle down" the flow by closing the OUTFLOW (not inflow) disconnect valve up till about halfway. I had a 2217 for my old tank and I recently ordered one for my 20 gallon high. I also plan on running an inline heater and co2 reactor however as well as lilypipes which all decrease flow. Just depends on where you want to go with it.
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
kclone
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Substrate Pro is one of the media used in the Eheim filter. I think for a 40p a 2215 or 2217 would work. I have 2 Eheim filters and they are great. They run silent and do a fantastic job cleaning the water (mechanically and biologically). Never had any problems.
kclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Thinking about purchasing a canister filter for 40b, need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Over filtration is always a good thing, and the neat thing about eheims is that you can "throttle down" the flow by closing the OUTFLOW (not inflow) disconnect valve up till about halfway. I had a 2217 for my old tank and I recently ordered one for my 20 gallon high. I also plan on running an inline heater and co2 reactor however as well as lilypipes which all decrease flow. Just depends on where you want to go with it.
While that is a nice feature, I actually want lots of flow lol. Do you think the Eheim will give me the flow I'm looking for? How Big was your old tank?

---
I give my fish coffee
Old 03-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

A 2217 will give you enough flow for a 40b, and you can't go wrong with Eheims. I can't tell mine is running other than looking into the tank and seeing the flow!
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Thinking about purchasing a canister filter for 40b, need suggestions

+1
can't beat an Eheim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #24
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got myself the eheim 2217 from big als online. Can't beat free shipping and 10 percent off. Very excited!

---
I give my fish coffee
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
Garlic
Algae Grower

+ 1 for the 306, I have 6 on different tanks from a 20 Brakish to a 55 fresh.
Simple, efficient and on sale from time to time with free shipping on Amazon.
I also have 205's and a cascade 1000 that work pretty well on other tanks, like the 306 better at this point.

Fluval Pimp #34 2 - 55's, 8 - 40B's IP
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Already ordered the Eheim 2217 for only like 125 and free shipping.

---
I give my fish coffee
Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
Got myself the eheim 2217 from big als online. Can't beat free shipping and 10 percent off. Very excited!

---
I give my fish coffee

I know right!!! I got that sale too!!! Mine just got here two days ago in the mail! Its wicked sweet. Turning down the flow with the outlet connectors works like a charm as well. Even on a 20gallon high. I'm also interested in trying out eheim's wide jet outlet pipe I also got from big als' it looks promising. Good luck with your own filter!

PS. If the flow ever gets too strong, try turning the outlets down, and if that is still too much flow, trying using a different type of outlet pipe. I've found that the eheim spray bars put out a lot of pressure with the teeney holes.
Just some $.02!

Good luck!
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #28
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

+37927347 on the eheim 2217. It should be enough to where you can take off your powerheads. Substrate pro is definitely the way to go. It's pricy but great quality bio media.

Btw how much flow are you looking for? If you're doing a troph/petro tank I'd recommend two 2217 and powerheads on each side of the tank. Probably about 1000gph on each side. I'm sure that would be too much flow for a planted tank with smaller fish or shrimp.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #29
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
I know right!!! I got that sale too!!! Mine just got here two days ago in the mail! Its wicked sweet. Turning down the flow with the outlet connectors works like a charm as well. Even on a 20gallon high. I'm also interested in trying out eheim's wide jet outlet pipe I also got from big als' it looks promising. Good luck with your own filter!

PS. If the flow ever gets too strong, try turning the outlets down, and if that is still too much flow, trying using a different type of outlet pipe. I've found that the eheim spray bars put out a lot of pressure with the teeney holes.
Just some $.02!

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips, I still have to wait six more days until i get mine. That's like an eternity when you're excited to get something lol

---
I give my fish coffee
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
+37927347 on the eheim 2217. It should be enough to where you can take off your powerheads. Substrate pro is definitely the way to go. It's pricy but great quality bio media.

Btw how much flow are you looking for? If you're doing a troph/petro tank I'd recommend two 2217 and powerheads on each side of the tank. Probably about 1000gph on each side. I'm sure that would be too much flow for a planted tank with smaller fish or shrimp.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
I want equal or more flow than I have right now with two hobs and the powerhead. Just wanna give my tank a much nicer appearance without two hobs hanging from it and a powerhead in the tank.

I think if i was doing what you described it would be overkill for sure lol I tried switching my marineland powerhead into the circulation thing with the giant prop but all my plants were bent over screaming help!

---
I give my fish coffee