Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
JEden8's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 876
Default

Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis


I guess I should've posted this here instead of in my journal.

So I was doing some searching around about rainbowfish as I would like to get a few more Boesemani's or possibly some other types. I was looking to find some natural inhabitants of their natural habitat when I came across the Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis. It looks exactly like a Boesemani but has deeper colors. I've always wondered why I could never find male Boesemani's that looked like the larger one in my tank and this explains why. Anyone have any idea where I can get these?
__________________
JEden8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
papwalker
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
I guess I should've posted this here instead of in my journal.

So I was doing some searching around about rainbowfish as I would like to get a few more Boesemani's or possibly some other types. I was looking to find some natural inhabitants of their natural habitat when I came across the Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis. It looks exactly like a Boesemani but has deeper colors. I've always wondered why I could never find male Boesemani's that looked like the larger one in my tank and this explains why. Anyone have any idea where I can get these?
Does this help?
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/ajamaruensis.htm
__________________

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/


respect to all creatures great and small
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
JEden8's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
Yea that is where I found out about these. After doing more looking maybe I don't have this. I'm looking at the coloration mainly. I'm just confused as to why mine is so dark but any others that I've seen are not this dark.
__________________
JEden8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
papwalker
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
Yea that is where I found out about these. After doing more looking maybe I don't have this. I'm looking at the coloration mainly. I'm just confused as to why mine is so dark but any others that I've seen are not this dark.
Maybe the dedicated rainbow forums could help sort it out.
I only keep Australian Rainbows from NSW, QLD.
Sorry, Not much help.
__________________

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/


respect to all creatures great and small
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
JEden8's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 876
Default

I'll check them out and see what I can find out. I was just curious is all. Thanks for the help!
__________________
JEden8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
sanj
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Coventry, UK
Posts: 277
Default

Late post, but I am pretty sure Melanotaenia ajamaruensis is not circulating in the hobby.

There are two forms of M. boesemani in the hobby, the larger generally more yellow form from lake Ayamaru (Ajamaru) and the smaller more intense and generally orange colour form from Late Aytinjo.
sanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
Posts: 3,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
I guess I should've posted this here instead of in my journal.

So I was doing some searching around about rainbowfish as I would like to get a few more Boesemani's or possibly some other types. I was looking to find some natural inhabitants of their natural habitat when I came across the Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis. It looks exactly like a Boesemani but has deeper colors. I've always wondered why I could never find male Boesemani's that looked like the larger one in my tank and this explains why. Anyone have any idea where I can get these?
I was going to say, if anyone knows Rainbowfish (name on the forum, aka Gary Lange) or Sanj would know where to find em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanj View Post
Late post, but I am pretty sure Melanotaenia ajamaruensis is not circulating in the hobby.

There are two forms of M. boesemani in the hobby, the larger generally more yellow form from lake Ayamaru (Ajamaru) and the smaller more intense and generally orange colour form from Late Aytinjo.
Beat me to the punch lol.



There are so many species I want to keep badly, but they are no longer in the hobby, or not available in the U.S.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012