Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis

I guess I should've posted this here instead of in my journal.

So I was doing some searching around about rainbowfish as I would like to get a few more Boesemani's or possibly some other types. I was looking to find some natural inhabitants of their natural habitat when I came across the Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis. It looks exactly like a Boesemani but has deeper colors. I've always wondered why I could never find male Boesemani's that looked like the larger one in my tank and this explains why. Anyone have any idea where I can get these?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
papwalker
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post

So I was doing some searching around about rainbowfish as I would like to get a few more Boesemani's or possibly some other types. I was looking to find some natural inhabitants of their natural habitat when I came across the Melanotaenia Ajamaruensis. It looks exactly like a Boesemani but has deeper colors. I've always wondered why I could never find male Boesemani's that looked like the larger one in my tank and this explains why. Anyone have any idea where I can get these?
Does this help?
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/ajamaruensis.htm

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
Yea that is where I found out about these. After doing more looking maybe I don't have this. I'm looking at the coloration mainly. I'm just confused as to why mine is so dark but any others that I've seen are not this dark.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Yea that is where I found out about these. After doing more looking maybe I don't have this. I'm looking at the coloration mainly. I'm just confused as to why mine is so dark but any others that I've seen are not this dark.
Maybe the dedicated rainbow forums could help sort it out.
I only keep Australian Rainbows from NSW, QLD.
Sorry, Not much help.

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll check them out and see what I can find out. I was just curious is all. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
sanj
Planted Member

Late post, but I am pretty sure Melanotaenia ajamaruensis is not circulating in the hobby.

There are two forms of M. boesemani in the hobby, the larger generally more yellow form from lake Ayamaru (Ajamaru) and the smaller more intense and generally orange colour form from Late Aytinjo.
sanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:

I was going to say, if anyone knows Rainbowfish (name on the forum, aka Gary Lange) or Sanj would know where to find em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanj View Post
Late post, but I am pretty sure Melanotaenia ajamaruensis is not circulating in the hobby.

There are two forms of M. boesemani in the hobby, the larger generally more yellow form from lake Ayamaru (Ajamaru) and the smaller more intense and generally orange colour form from Late Aytinjo.
Beat me to the punch lol.

There are so many species I want to keep badly, but they are no longer in the hobby, or not available in the U.S.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote