Suggestions for established scape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Suggestions for established scape

Hi folks, this is my 90 gallon low tech that's been established for just over 12 months now.

Not keen for a total rebuild as I generally like the scape, just interested in a few minor tweaks that may add to the overall look. Oh and the amazon plantlets are not a permanent fixture!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363606701.680304.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	107658

Cheers
Bl00dwirm

Old 03-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Looks nice to me... happy Pearl Gouramies, healthy plants. Perhaps try a red plant, like an Alternanthera or Red Tiger Lotus as a "focal point". Nothing really wrong with it!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

Default Suggestions for established scape

Thanks for that! Glad to hear you like it as its my first dirt tank and planted aquascape. This place has been a great resource!

I've contemplated a red plant and to be honest my lack of co2 has put me off so far. Where do you think the best position for the focal point would be? I'm guessing between the large Anubia and swords on the LHS 1/3 of the way in? (Still confused a bit with the whole golden ratio thing)

Apologies for the poor quality phone pic.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

Any other thoughts from the more seasoned aquascapers out there?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

I believe you could improve the overall look of the tank with just a little tweaking.
Give the following some thought, and give it a try if it seems to appeal to you:
The idea is to create a little more open space at the tank center to offset well-planted ends & add a touch more dramatic appearance.

- First, it looks like the plant(s) at the extreme right side is/are some type of Hygrophila, as is the plant immediately to the left of that - at the rear. Remove the portion that is immediately left of the main plant body, and then bunch up, &/or trim/prune the larger plant, leaving some room in front of it.
- Relocate the darker green middle plant on the left side (the smaller plant in the middle) to just in front of the previously mentioned Hygro.
- Move the large middle plant slightly closer to the left side, nearer the plant at far left.
- This should result in a more exposed open area in the center of the tank.
Then you could perhaps consider adding another modest-sized chunk of different driftwood on top of the existing piece to create a somewhat more dramatic, natural effect.
Give it some thought.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

Thanks for the responses, I've attached a marked up pic for clarity.

1. Hygro polysperma
2. Java fern (mounted to upright wood)
3. Amazon swords
4. Anubias (mounted to log)
5. Various crypts and chain swords.
6. Val

Take your point about the open space. I think ive let the plants encroach a bit on the open space I had originally planned.

I plan to:
1. trim the hygro on the RHS and reposition it more towards the back.
2. move the java fern slightly right, opening up more of a gap between the two planted sides.
3. propagate the largest anubia, cutting in half and placing cutting on RHS in front of hygro.
4. plant a red tiger lotus in between and behind the log with the two Anubias on the LHS.

Do you think the tiger lotus will work in a low tech? I place root tabs in the substrate regularly for the swords and crypts so assume more of the same for the lotus.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I totally dig the double side vals idea. Maybe remove the stems to the right and do the same thing as the left side but with the vals curving to the left. Alternanthera reiniecki would be a nice addition due to its large leaves and red color.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I have to admit, I got really into aquascaping but miss having a scapeless tank. I know you have driftwood but your plants are your focal point.

IMO, I would think an established foreground will do a lot for your tank. It just makes it look "mature".

I think a nice group of red stems between the Vals and Anubias would be great. Then, a lower growing red plant on the other side more upfront would work. Two options I like to keep small by trimming are Tiger Lotus or Alternanthera reineckii. Both tend to have a good red color, even if not under strong light so they make good candidates for red plants that aren't close to the light.

Other than that, add whatever plants you like and just let it mature. Trust me, it will be beautiful.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl00dworm View Post
Thanks for that! Glad to hear you like it as its my first dirt tank and planted aquascape. This place has been a great resource!

I've contemplated a red plant and to be honest my lack of co2 has put me off so far. Where do you think the best position for the focal point would be? I'm guessing between the large Anubia and swords on the LHS 1/3 of the way in? (Still confused a bit with the whole golden ratio thing)

Apologies for the poor quality phone pic.
I think you are on the right track there. That is the advice i would have given.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

I like wood. Add a big honkin sweet piece of driftwood that has character and build around it. You have some, but it isn't really making an impact on your scape being on the ground level like that. My 2 cents
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

I agree that a twisty piece of wood would add some flare but it looks incredible other than that. The pearls are sweet.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I have to admit, I got really into aquascaping but miss having a scapeless tank. I know you have driftwood but your plants are your focal point.

IMO, I would think an established foreground will do a lot for your tank. It just makes it look "mature".

I think a nice group of red stems between the Vals and Anubias would be great. Then, a lower growing red plant on the other side more upfront would work. Two options I like to keep small by trimming are Tiger Lotus or Alternanthera reineckii. Both tend to have a good red color, even if not under strong light so they make good candidates for red plants that aren't close to the light.

Other than that, add whatever plants you like and just let it mature. Trust me, it will be beautiful.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. My chain sword foreground has taken off more than the Lilleopsis but is still pretty thin. Seems to grow well for a while then dies out, suspect my lights are borderline for the height of the tank. Definitely looking for a lush foreground and will continue to be patient!

Do you have a suggestion for the red stems that will go ok in a non CO2 medium/low light setup?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrankwhat View Post
I agree that a twisty piece of wood would add some flare but it looks incredible other than that. The pearls are sweet.
Cheers for that. I love the pearls too, I think they're great in a planted tank when you're going for that tranquil feel.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
I like wood. Add a big honkin sweet piece of driftwood that has character and build around it. You have some, but it isn't really making an impact on your scape being on the ground level like that. My 2 cents
More good advice thats greatly appreciated. When it was originally planted the driftwood was more prominent. I'll keep a lookout for something with some extra height.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

Here are the results of some minor rearranging following earlier advice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364471619.553559.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	114658

Changes are:
1. New red tiger lotus on LHS
2. Cutting of Anubias barteri barteri
3. Relocated java fern on driftwood to far RHS
4. Relocated hygro to back with severe prune
5. New crypts and additional chain sword to hasten foreground development

No driftwood as yet and needs some time to grow in. Thoughts on the alterations?