Critique a Scape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lightbulb

Critique a Scape

This is an idea for my first aquascape. It's a 40 gallon breeder. I'd appreciate any advice or input! What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	108338  

Last edited by MikeyMizz; 03-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Removed pics in order to add more
MikeyMizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Looks good to me!

what kind of rocks are those?
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
RickRS
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks nice.

The three leaning rocks on the left side might remain in position longer if the flat rock you're bracing them with has a side touching the glass. That would stop it from sliding away from the leaning rocks over time.

Alternately, a small flat rock between the glass and the bracing rock to fill the gap (and avoid a point being pushed against the glass) would hold the structure without having to move the group over to the right.
Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
RickRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
Looks good to me!

what kind of rocks are those?
Drew
Thank you Boxxer. I believe they are slate but don't know for sure. They were picked up at a used equipment store nearby...sweet find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
Looks nice.

The three leaning rocks on the left side might remain in position longer if the flat rock you're bracing them with has a side touching the glass. That would stop it from sliding away from the leaning rocks over time.

Alternately, a small flat rock between the glass and the bracing rock to fill the gap (and avoid a point being pushed against the glass) would hold the structure without having to move the group over to the right.
Thank you, Rick. I was planning on siliconing them together which would take care of any movement...I think. Would that be the best option, in your opinion? Any drawbacks to that?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Nice rocks. Only thing I would say against it is that the sides of a lot of them are unnatrually smooth and flat looking. If you could rough it up slightly, it might look nicer. Otherwise, I'm digging the placement and look overall.
Zlookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlookup View Post
Nice rocks. Only thing I would say against it is that the sides of a lot of them are unnatrually smooth and flat looking. If you could rough it up slightly, it might look nicer. Otherwise, I'm digging the placement and look overall.
Good observation, Zlookup. I'll research ways to address that, unless you have a suggestion. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMizz View Post
Good observation, Zlookup. I'll research ways to address that, unless you have a suggestion. Thanks!
I use a mallet to break up my larger rocks into smaller ones and then use a piece of the rocks itself to chisel away at them a bit to reduce sharp ages and just fine tune in general. Some rocks take better to this than others. The ones you have may be prone to shattering so I'd exercise a lot of caution with safety gear where appropriate if you do try it. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Interesting stones, I think you're on the right track.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

i like it
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
I use a mallet to break up my larger rocks into smaller ones and then use a piece of the rocks itself to chisel away at them a bit to reduce sharp ages and just fine tune in general. Some rocks take better to this than others. The ones you have may be prone to shattering so I'd exercise a lot of caution with safety gear where appropriate if you do try it. Good luck.
I have a feeling you're right about the shattering potential. They may take to some light work with a chisel... Thanks, Zlookup.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
Zlookup
Algae Grower

No point in ruining a good chisel I'd just use another hard rock and gently tap it against the sharper corners of those rocks to make it less pronounced and to have the outcome be a bit more random. Should be able to gauge fairly quickly how hard of a 'tap' you'll need to give it. So long as the edges aren't so uniform, I think the flatness of the side will be less noticeable. Can always try on one of the smaller pieces and see how it goes.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
No point in ruining a good chisel I'd just use another hard rock and gently tap it against the sharper corners of those rocks to make it less pronounced and to have the outcome be a bit more random. Should be able to gauge fairly quickly how hard of a 'tap' you'll need to give it. So long as the edges aren't so uniform, I think the flatness of the side will be less noticeable. Can always try on one of the smaller pieces and see how it goes.
If the rocks are slate (and if not they look similar) then hitting them with anything probably won't rough them up. It will more likely split them into more flat pieces with edges the same as they have now. That is what has happened to get them of the size they are now. Unfortunately that is nature if rocks like this.

However, I don't think they look unnatural at all. I have rocks that look like that naturally where I live. I think they have enough character to use them as they are. Sure they might look better if they were rougher, but I doubt you will be able to do it.

As far as the layout goes. I like parts of it. Actually I like the whole thing but I'd try moving it. I would swap the two groups of rocks though. Exactly how they are just the right group on the left and the left group on the right. I think that would add a lot more drama. If you can though try and keep the 'gap' between them off center.

It's personal preference and you will find tanks with the rock pointing both 'in' and 'out' but I prefer the rocks pointing in kind of like the tanks below.

Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Interesting stones, I think you're on the right track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
i like it
Thank you both; I appreciate the look.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
Mty

Looks nice, i like the layout, i don't think the stones look unnatural either
Mty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
MikeyMizz
Algae Grower

Quote:
I think I will try a few gentle taps along the straight edges. The rocks aren't all that bad, I don't think, but they could be better! Thanks for the heads up with the chisel, Zlookup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
If the rocks are slate (and if not they look similar) then hitting them with anything probably won't rough them up. It will more likely split them into more flat pieces with edges the same as they have now. That is what has happened to get them of the size they are now. Unfortunately that is nature if rocks like this.

However, I don't think they look unnatural at all. I have rocks that look like that naturally where I live. I think they have enough character to use them as they are. Sure they might look better if they were rougher, but I doubt you will be able to do it.

As far as the layout goes. I like parts of it. Actually I like the whole thing but I'd try moving it. I would swap the two groups of rocks though. Exactly how they are just the right group on the left and the left group on the right. I think that would add a lot more drama. If you can though try and keep the 'gap' between them off center.

It's personal preference and you will find tanks with the rock pointing both 'in' and 'out' but I prefer the rocks pointing in kind of like the tanks below.

Farmer, thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate some criticism and insight into possibilities. I'll give it a go. However, one thing that I really like with the way they are is the gap between the two structures is reminiscent of a canyon. I was thinking about running some white or beige sand through that area in the midst of a black ADA AS substrate. If I flip the structures, I either lose that, or need to restructure to gain it back.

Tags
aquascape, aquascape design, rocks, slate