Looking to add some hardscape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looking to add some hardscape

I'm fairly new to this hobby and I currently have a pretty boring planted 36 gallon bowfront tank. Now that I've gotten to the point where I can keep my fish and plants alive (for the most part) I'm looking to make it a little more presentable visually.

I currently just have all my plants growing from my flat substrate. I went to Home Depot the other day and picked up some slabs of flagstone (I did test them with some hydrochloric acid and got no fizzing.) My intention is to add some hardscape elements other than the one large piece of driftwood I currently have.

So my thought was to get the stone slabs nice and clean and then break them into smaller pieces and build a sort of mountain / cave in the back left corner of my tank. My plan is to build it up in layers, leaving a gap in the middle for fish to hide in.

My questions are:

1. Can I use hot glue to build one solid piece outside the tank? Is normal hot glue safe for aquarium use? will it hold up or fall apart? Is there something else I should be using?

2. An idea I had was to leave some depressed areas (maybe 2-3" deep or so) in the structure, then fill them with substrate and add some plants to the little "bed" areas. Will any plants live in such a small amount of substrate?

3. Is there a way to get some moss or other carpet-type plants to stick to the rock?

4. Do you have any other advice or ideas about a glued-together rock formation?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
MrSlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't know if that glue is safe but they do make a aquarium glue that people use in SW tanks to glue corals and live rock that will work. You can tie the moss to the rock with fish line until it spreads out. Before we talk plants we need to know what light you have what substrate etc.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cyanoacrylate. (Super glue or crazy glue) Can be found in most hobby shops in several viscosities. You can use it to glue your rocks together, or to glue moss on to things.

You can let the moss attach naturally if you've got a couple of weeks before putting your creation underwater, or tie it on.

While designing your rock formation you could incorporate plant pots. This may help with stability and you can drop in a different potted plant when you get tired of looking at the current one. This would work well for plants that get to creeping or have sizable root systems.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Before we talk plants we need to know what light you have what substrate etc.
Am I the only one on TPT that actually uses the tank profiles?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...778&n=MrSlumpy

Thanks creekbottom for the plant pots idea, I think I will use that. Off to buy some pots and super glue gel.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Lots of people don't see the profiles so I'm not sure.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
thornomad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Looking to add some hardscape

Profile doesn't show up on tapatalk (mobile) either. Am curious to see what you will come up with as I am preparing a fifty gallon setup in my brain now.
thornomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Silicone works to hold rocks together as well and its fish safe. If you use it just make sure it doesn't have any mold or mildew inhibitors in it.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

I think I will get some silicone as well to see which works best. I think the main challenges will be getting the rocks nice and clean, then making sure I don't build something that is too big for my 36. I think I can already see my next tank purchase looming on the horizon. 50 or 75, hmmm . . .
Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

I finally did this, but in a different tank. Plenty of pics in the tank journal here.