Milky look to the tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Milky look to the tank

Not sure if this is an algae problem or a water problem, but help out how you can.

Since Friday, I noticed a milky white look to my tank. The java moss looks terrible and plants like the anubais are starting to get these milky white spots on them, not to mention the whole tank has the look and feel.

15G Cherry Shrimp tank (shrimp and assasin snails). Has been set up for over a year now.
Floramax substrate, anubais, java fern, java moss, christmas moss, and various crypts are the plants in the tank.
I use a 6700K & colormax bulb for 9 hrs/day. Bi-monthly water changes
Water parameters: unknown, don't have a home testing kit, but I have not found any dead cherry shirmp or snails.

Any thoughts on what it would be or what caused this to start showing up? I've never had this issue before and all setup above is what I've had the entire life of the tank.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

1) Get a test kit. You spent a fortune on the tank, $30 is a proverbial drop in the bucket to support it.

2) After you follow #1, post the test results. Could be Old Tank Syndrome catching up to you. Bi-monthly water changes are not often enough. You also didn't mention how much water you replace each time. For the health and stability of the tank, you should be doing about 50% per month. I prefer 10-15% per week. In a 15g, that should be a breeze.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
jamesyu
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu

what type of water conditioner are you using?
what type of bacteria booster are you using?

I had the same issue when I started my tank -- but I was using Easy Life Bacteria Starter and it was milky white -- I was also using Easy Life Media conditioner (or whatever the water conditioner was)

left a milky white residue everywhere, turned to powder afterwards -- didn't happen the 1st time i used it (back in feb 2012), just this time.
jamesyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
1) Get a test kit. You spent a fortune on the tank, $30 is a proverbial drop in the bucket to support it.

2) After you follow #1, post the test results. Could be Old Tank Syndrome catching up to you. Bi-monthly water changes are not often enough. You also didn't mention how much water you replace each time. For the health and stability of the tank, you should be doing about 50% per month. I prefer 10-15% per week. In a 15g, that should be a breeze.
I will go to PetSmart tomorrow and get a test kit. Closest pet store.
Each bi-monthly water change is 50-60%.
I did wonder if there was such thing as old tank syndrome because my Cherries are not reproducing nearly as fast as before. I can barely find any in there anymore, some plants won't grow (most do though) and it doesn't seem to be making any overall progress, sigh.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyu View Post
what type of water conditioner are you using?
what type of bacteria booster are you using?

I had the same issue when I started my tank -- but I was using Easy Life Bacteria Starter and it was milky white -- I was also using Easy Life Media conditioner (or whatever the water conditioner was)

left a milky white residue everywhere, turned to powder afterwards -- didn't happen the 1st time i used it (back in feb 2012), just this time.
I'm using Top Fin conditioner from PetSmart
I also add Seachem Equilibrium, the recommended amount, 1x month. That does make it cloudy white for a day. This issue comes right before my next water change though, so that wouldn't be it.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
rexpepper651
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

top fin conditioner is crap. i asked one of the actual knowledgeable workers at my local store an she said most of the top fin stuff is watered down. prime is a great water conditioner as is stress coat by api
rexpepper651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I did the numbers and prime actually is one of the top most cost efficient water conditioners, at like 2 cents per gallon or 0.02 cents per gallon something like that. Also I had a stage where my tank was milky but not on the plants. That's funky. My milky look was due to bacteria bloom.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Incidentally, if your cycle is established, you don't need a "bacteria booster". Using such a product can actually kill off your permanent cycle. *nod*
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote