fluval intake strainer can be bent and shaped?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

fluval intake strainer can be bent and shaped?

I'm dreaming up a modification for the return from my fluval canister, using the long plastic piece from the intake strainer.

Has anyone tried to bend and shape that with heat? I'm not sure if it's possible and I don't have a heat gun.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have some experience working with thermoplastics and heatguns and the like (mostly for custom Bolteron/Kydex knife sheaths). I can tell you there is a learning curve and it in this case especially can be expensive. Also some plastics will not react/behave at all the way you want or expect when heat is applied to them. Some will turn black and bubble while others melt with haste almost like wax. Remember this has to go back into the aquarium. Specific plastics such as those used for single use water bottles after initial molding will be nontoxic until damaged by heat, uv exposure or simple age so this may be the case with this plastic. Maybe a call to Hagen support could help you find out MSDS info at least.

So if you have the time, patience, and disposable income it can't hurt to try. I in no way mean to rain on your parade, I love tinkering. Have burned up a few electric motors doing it....

-Zach
Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Much safer would be to take the bits with you to the local hardware store and see what bits of PVC or CPVC would work to make those mods. A quick sanding and couple coats of spray paint and it will look great.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of thinking this wouldn't be really possible but thought I would ask. I think I'll just get some acrylic pipe and try my hand at making lily pipes. I've contacted Hagen in the past with questions but they always return with an unhelpful answer meant to cover their butts.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try Redwood plastics, they're local and pretty helpful if you call ahead.

http://www.redwoodplastics.com/products/acrylic/ They don't list tube, but I know they carry it as mentioned at the bottom of the page.

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.