Evaporation during cycling
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Evaporation during cycling

How does evaporation affect the ammonia level during cycling? I'm trying to do a fishless cycle in a 20g tank. On day 1, I dosed ammonia up to 4ppm. I'm now on day 8, and I haven't seen any drop in ammonia yet. But water is evaporating.... Should I add more water or just be patient. If I add water, won't that dilute the ammonia, making it appear to have dropped when it really hasn't?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

How much is it evaporating?
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If it has only dropped a few centimeters, no big deal. You can add water if you want. Adding a cm or two of water back into the tank is diluting it by a tiny fraction. If you want to ensure that adding water doesn't give you a false drop in Ammonia, just take a reading of it before and after adding the water. If it drops after adding water, you'll know that you diluted it, and just dose it back up.
pelicanincident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
genocdex
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

when the water evaporates it shouldnt take any ammonia with it. so letting the water evaporate little by little is actually allowing the ammonia to build up. the same amount of ammonia is in the water with less water, thus causing an increase in the ammonia concentration. you should top off your tanks water with dechlorinated water, i wouldnt trust just aging it if thats what your are doing.
genocdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Unless your tank is evaporating so quickly that the filter is running dry, it's probably not going to be a significant amount.

The amount of ammonia that would bring 20 gallons of water to 4 ppm, put into 16 gallons of water, would be 5 ppm.

So if you loose about ~1/4 of your tank volume, you'd get about a 1ppm increase.

Were you able to seed the tank with anything from an established tan? (hardscape, substrate, plants, filter media, etc.)

And do you have anything in the tank that may be leaching ammonia (substrate? ferts?)
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote