Very high light for 20 long - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Very high light for 20 long

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Well, can anyone give suggestions from experience, and not speculation? Because the last time I bought a fixture because someone told me it would be enough "PAR" I ended up with this...
From experience and research I can tell you the ray 2 is going to be way to high if you're not running co2 and dosing. Even a fugeray is probably going to be a lot but it'll be less

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Very high light for 20 long

Quote:
Well, can anyone give suggestions from experience, and not speculation? Because the last time I bought a fixture because someone told me it would be enough "PAR" I ended up with this...
I thought it was because the two bulb was too expensive.

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I used to own a 20 L and I used an aquaticlife 2 bulb fixture. It was upper-high (not super high light) and brought out coloration in most reds if I used the legs it came with. I've never had a Ray II but that may be your next bet - or a 2 bulb catalina. All I know is you'll need a second bulb if you're sticking with T5. I'd recommend you try the aquaticlife for a bit and return it if you don't like it (they have a 30 day policy I think).
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
I used to own a 20 L and I used an aquaticlife 2 bulb fixture. It was upper-high (not super high light) and brought out coloration in most reds if I used the legs it came with. I've never had a Ray II but that may be your next bet - or a 2 bulb catalina. All I know is you'll need a second bulb if you're sticking with T5. I'd recommend you try the aquaticlife for a bit and return it if you don't like it (they have a 30 day policy I think).
LEDs don't grow red plants though. And those two are both over $100. :/

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #20
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Very high light for 20 long

Quote:
Why not save up?

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #21
DubSmacks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
I recently had my aquatic life t5HO fixture break. So rather than messing around with it, I decided to get a Finnex Ray 2 and I was stunned by how much more light this thing puts out. I am pretty sure you can find PAR data here:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160396 Great light with high output. Its a little expensive but worth it.
DubSmacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #22
eaunaturale
Algae Grower

http://www.zooplus.com/shop/fish/tec..._lights/126353
eaunaturale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
Dr_Hoatzin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
LEDs don't grow red plants though.
LED's grow red plants very well. PAR may go high enough that some people aren't dosing enough...otherwise, no clue where this misinformation arose.
Dr_Hoatzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #24
eaunaturale
Algae Grower

Forget about light intensity, concentrate on CO2 levels. Light levels grow algae without proper CO2 and flow.
eaunaturale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #25
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:

LEDs can more than certainly grow colored plants. I had a DIY co2 and then a DIY led strip and all my plants really came to life I mean they look amazing

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Your fixture is plenty bright for a 20L. I would play with CO2 and ferts first before getting a double bulb fixture only to have to turn one of the bulbs off because of too much light.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
Your fixture is plenty bright for a 20L. I would play with CO2 and ferts first before getting a double bulb fixture only to have to turn one of the bulbs off because of too much light.
same statement i was about to make
a single bulb with a good reflector should give you plants that should be red, red

it will likely not stress response plants like ludwigia repens, or blyxa
but l. aromatica, r. macrandra. etc should be red with the right amount of co2 and a decent fert level
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #28
Dr_Hoatzin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I don't know where this current trope of 'LED's can't grow red plants' started, but it is both annoying to frequently correct and demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes most plant leaves turn red. Sigh....
Dr_Hoatzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #29
Teishokue
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have been reading and reading upon LEDs lighting and currently in the middle of etching my PCB for my very own high powered 24V 5AMP LED light fixture. And I am sure LEDs can grow reds since the intensity of light differs from wave length. If you are really stuck on reading PAR, you should start to switch to reading LUX instead, since it will be a better scale for a 20L. The other thing is that with red plants, they will soak up green and blue lighting which will result in higher lighting - unlike green plants which intake blue and red lighting. (this will cause an increase in light taken by the red plants, yet reduce the light taken in by the green plants) along with different wavelengths, you could also increase the illumination duration for the plants - meaning leave the light on for a longer period.

Another thing that you could do is purchase a dual lighting tube. and insert your t5 and use a typical t8 for the other if you are going cheap. but since its a high tech tank why not just get a dual fixtures. kind of loss why a high tank would only be fixated with one tube.
Teishokue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #30
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Very high light for 20 long

I feel strange being on the other side of this 'conversation'...

IME, I see no reason why 99% of the available plants cannot be grown with a single t5ho bulb 2" above a 20L.

Instead of blindly dumping more $$ into a new fixture, you (and all of us) can benefit from figuring out what is going on.

I would start by taking a picture of the label on your t5ho bulb and posting it. That would give all of us a place to dance from. If the type/brand/temp/age/etc is not totally out of whack, then I would contact Catalina to find out if they, by any chance, installed the wrong ballast or cheappo reflector.

That aside, posting several pictures if the plants that you are not happy with, plus full tank shot with drop checker, would go miles to putting this thread to bed.

Telling what your lighting period is, you fertilization and other basic info would not hurt either.