29 gal. light question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
wildroseofky
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

29 gal. light question

I am trying to pick a light for my tank. I am currently using T8 64 watt shop light with 6500k bulbs. I have money wort, penny wort, ludwigia, dwarf sag, java fern, christmas moss planted right now.
I am trying to decide between a 24" T5HO 48 watt light or a 36" T5HO 78 watt light. There was also a 20" T5 Quad 72 watt light with LED moonlight in the same price range but I wasn't sure about it being 10" shorter than the tank. Would that make much of a difference?

My tank stats are
29 gallons (30"x12"x18" deep)
Pool filter sand substrate
Aquaclear50 HOB filter
planted with moneywort, pennywort, ludwigia, dwarf sagittaria, java fern, and christmas moss.
Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and root tabs for fertilizer
Working on a DIY CO2 setup and will start using CO2 Booster when it comes in.
4 Mollies and 7 ghost shrimp

Could someone with more experience tell me what I should get?
wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
SJInverts
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
Default 29 gal. light question

I use a 30" Finnex Fugeray led light fixture for my 29g tank. It gives me low end medium light.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Sugardaddy1979
Sic em

PTrader: (12/100%)

If you're happy with the plants you are growing, that fugeray would be great. I have the finnex ray 2 on my 29g. It puts you well into medium light though. I run pressurized co2 with it. And am growing alternanathera reinckii, golden nesaea, staurogyne repens, a dwarf lily, Didiplis diandra and some crypts. I also dose ei dry ferts.
Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
wildroseofky
Planted Member

The brand I am looking at isn't finnex it is oddysea. I didn't state the brand because I didn't want to get hit with a bunch of negative posts. I have researched them and know they are not high end but for my budget and needs I think they are okay. I need to stay in the $50 range for now. If I ever decide to upgrade tanks, then I will buy a better brand of light. Right now I am just starting out. My tank has only been set up since the first of January. I am giving it time to "age" before adding any more fish. It was cycled with material from my 10 gallon previously cycled tank.

I am okay with the plants I have for now but would like to add some spiral val and/or something tall to hide my equipment. Then some smaller lower growing plants to add some more interest to my tank. Maybe some type of anubias. I got the plants I have now because I got 100 of them for $25. The price was right but I didn't know much about them except the ludwigia.

I am leaning toward the 24 inch light. I am just not sure if it would be enough light at the edges of my tank. The 36 inch light has 30 more whats also. I keep going back and forth and wanted some more opinions on which one I should get.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Read the first post in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368 and look at the charts. If you are pretty sure you will go ahead and use CO2, even DIY CO2, maintaining it well, with weekly solution changes, you can use medium light, around 40-50 micromols of PAR at the substrate. Assuming you have 2-3 inches of substrate the light will sit about 16 inches from the substrate. At that distance you could use a FishNeedIt or Coralife 2 bulb T5HO light for medium light. If you use the Odyssea 2 bulb T5HO light, 24 inch light, you would need to have it suspended about 6 inches above the top of the tank to reduce the intensity to medium light. A Hagen Glo 2 bulb T5HO would give you medium light, if it sits right on top of the tank. If you are willing to hang the light a foot or more above the top of the tank you could use any of the expensive 2 bulb T5HO 24 inch lights. If this were my tank I think I would get this: http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quo...quarium-l.html
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
wildroseofky
Planted Member

My substrate is 3" deep. My water depth is 15 1/2". My current light is mounted 4" above the tank and the light is 4ft long. I was planning on mounting the 2 bulb fixture 4" above the water line too. According to the light intensity chart that will give me high light. I may start out with it mounted higher at first to give my fish and plants time to acclimate to the light. I went from a 24" T8 light with 4200k single bulb to a 4 ft 2 bulb 6500k light and my fish took a while to calm down. My plants are not big enough to offer much cover yet. I am having algae and diatom problems right now too.

The price difference between the light you suggested and the one I am looking at is $20 plus. Doesn't sound like much but for me right now it is. I need something cheap for now while I am learning. I am going to start saving for a tank upgrade and better lights in the future. Slow and steady wins the race.

I can do the diy CO2 now but I don't have a drop checker yet. I will be getting one but it will be at least another 3 weeks or so. Could I possibly kill my fish with a 2 litter bottle of diy CO2 using the chop stick or similar method of diffusion? I have one set up in my 10 gallon plant only tank with two 16 ounce bottles and an air stone diffuser. I have been using the 10 gallon as a learning tank with no fish to kill. I have been playing around with different diy diffusers deciding on what works best for me.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

It would be very difficult to get enough CO2 from one 2L DIY bottle to do the slightest harm to the fish. Wit a 45 gallon tank I used 2 -2L bottles, and never got more than about 20 ppm of CO2. Your results should be similar with 1 bottle.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
wildroseofky
Planted Member

Thanks Hoppy. I am going to mix up a bottle today and add it to my tank after tank maintenance. The algae is getting to be an annoyance. Not to mention the diatoms. I am hoping that since my tank is only 3 months old the problem will resolve itself soon.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
SJInverts
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
Default 29 gal. light question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardaddy1979 View Post
If you're happy with the plants you are growing, that fugeray would be great. I have the finnex ray 2 on my 29g. It puts you well into medium light though. I run pressurized co2 with it. And am growing alternanathera reinckii, golden nesaea, staurogyne repens, a dwarf lily, Didiplis diandra and some crypts. I also dose ei dry ferts.
I've been able to grow everything you have listed except for the golden nesaea which i haven't tried, using the Fugeray and pressurized co2.

However, I'm sure I'm not getting the fast growth your probably getting. Which is a good thing for me since I don't have the time to trim all the time.

The OP has lots of options.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It would be very difficult to get enough CO2 from one 2L DIY bottle to do the slightest harm to the fish.
Do you keep it on 24hrs 7 days?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
I am trying to pick a light for my tank, 29 gallons,
planted with moneywort, pennywort, ludwigia, dwarf sagittaria, java fern, and christmas moss. I need to stay in the $50 range for now
Seems the only plant that will be difficult is the ludwiga. It will probably adjust to medium light with Co2 injected. An Aqualight 30" 2 T-5 w/ Colormax/6700K would provide medium light. It is $47 at Petblvd.com

My favorite it light, which someone brought to my attention here, is the Current Satellite Plus. It has many different light colors that can be programmed.

Last edited by Hilde; 06-22-2013 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: correction
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote