46L edge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
postskunk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

46L edge

This is pretty much my first real (soon too be) planted tank. I've built a lot of dart frog, tree frog, and tropical gecko planted hard-scapes over the past 6 years and am now taking a long breather from keeping and breeding all that, but I still have that itch to get my hands dirty and I really wanted give a aquatic planted tank a go.

The things I'm still don't have figured out yet are:
- adequate lighting for the plants I want to use
- the whole CO2 thing....

I've found tons of amazing info for Fluval Edge conversions on here and it's been super helpful, but theres so much info that I havent made any definite dissuasions about the above 2 questions yet?

I worked out the plumbing for my 501 zoomed for it, and I'm thinking I can used the filter that came with it on top of that but I havent gotten to the point where I can try that out yet

okay so here's where I'm at so far

-I scored the 5' peace of ghost wood at a show for 29$!!!
.... and I felt like a criminal making that first cut, but this is what I bought it for and if I didn't use it for this project it would have just ended up in the land of misfit drift wood aka my garage

- tried to sort out some sort of structure while the tank was being shipped

- and then the ridiculously frustrating task of siliconing those peaces in place, upside-down threw that little hole

- and tis is where I'm at now

Here's what I'm shooting for with the planting

- x-mas moss: warped around the top of the ghost wood
- dwarf baby tears: across the whole base/foreground
- dwarf pennywort: planted in the back/middle left between ghost wood & on or around the driftwood on the right side
- Sagittaria Subulata: around & behind the driftwood and rocks on the right side of tank

I know this seems a little ambitious for a first tank (at least it does to me) and for the type of tank it is, but I really really want to try and make it work if possible?

any helpful pointers, trouble shooting, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Matt
postskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
postskunk
Algae Grower

Disclaimer?
So to start, a little background I always seem to conveniently forget. about every year or 2 I start goggling planted tanks and get stars in my eyes. I'll set up a some kinda 5-10 gallon thats on sale at petco or petsmart and assume I can get it up and going lick-a-de split..... and it never goes well. either cant keep the water levels steady or I get get the fish going good for a while and then, winter comes along and my house out in the sticks losses power for a week or 2 and I call it quits
I guess its cause I'm used to building terrariums, where plant it heavy right off the bat and if some of the plants don't work out I just pull them and hit the nursery for new ones, which is all well and good when it's an air environment and the decomposition doesn't leach out and effect everything else like it does under water....
so it's safe to say, pretty much everything after the dry scaping didn't go all that well, and of course I had to go out and buy real fancy fish instead of mollies before I had the fully cycled the tank, which hasn't gone so well either...

but, I'm not gonna give up (and not putting any more fish in till everything going smooth)

so with all that being said here's an update, with lots of pics cause everyone likes posts full of pics

The good stuff starts here

I'm not gonna boar you with tons of details cause it's pretty late, so here's a photo log of where I'm at

Day 1: plants arrived mail
(without any confirmation which I was a little pissed about )
planted and filled, attempt 1

LED Lighting Set Up for now

ZooMed 501 as a secondary back up for stock filter

things are looking good for a minute...

.....and I got side tracked on the co2, a week and a half later 3/4th's of the baby tears are decomposing and causing havoc (at least I think that was the problem?)

Straighten a few things out

my bootleg CO2 (which I think is working but I'm really not sure?)

hooked up the heater

thought I'd try out a little dwarf hair grass?

And That's pretty much where I'm at

hope to have better news/updates soon

thanks for looking
-Matt
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
postskunk
Algae Grower

Thought I might as well throw in 5.5 gal and my 8" x 4" x 8" that I've messing around with for the past few weeks to try and help get the hang of this plant thing.

5.5 gal
I managed to get the ricca on this peace of wood going pretty well

day 1

and the 8" x 4" is simple but I cant do much with that space

6 weeks in there and this guys still looking pretty good (no water changes?)

-Matt