Questions on Eheim Aquastyle and others
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Questions on Eheim Aquastyle and others

Hello there, aquascapers!
I am VERY new to the aquascaping and live plant hobby and I just want to ask some questions, because I was planning on making my Eheim Aquastyle 4 gallon nano tank a planted tank. First of all, can you house red cherry shrimp in a 4 gallon, or does it need to be bigger? Have you ever had any experience with the Eheim Aquastyle 4 gallon? If so, is it a decent tank to grow medium to high light plants?can you grow dwarf baby tears in it?
I was inspired to do a mountain scape, but not sure how to do that. Can you give me some ideas on how to make that scape possible?

Last edited by Shrimpo_Brian; 07-24-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

Hi Brian, welcome from another Texan! Is the photo your tank, or is that where you are drawing your inspiration from? The Aquastyle 4 is plenty of room for cherry shrimp, though I don't have experience with that particular tank. The LED lighting included with the tank will likely be suited to medium light plants, but because the tank is relatively shallow, you may be able to grow high light plants as well. You may be able to find another Aquastyle Light Fixture here on the SNS(sales forum), I believe I saw one recently if it's still available. As far as accomplishing the creation of a mountain scape, I would research the Iwagumi style heavily. There are loads of them out there to draw ideas from. Iwagumi relies on rock as the hardscape, which sounds like what you want. You could even do a search using the words Mountain Scape, and I'm sure that would bring up some good results. Also, make sure you research Aquastyle shrimp tanks as well, for tips on making the filter shrimp friendly if your using the stock filter. Placing aquarium safe black panty hose over the intake, something like that. Wish you the best.
Now head to the Invertebrates section!
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
Hi Brian, welcome from another Texan! Is the photo your tank, or is that where you are drawing your inspiration from? The Aquastyle 4 is plenty of room for cherry shrimp, though I don't have experience with that particular tank. The LED lighting included with the tank will likely be suited to medium light plants, but because the tank is relatively shallow, you may be able to grow high light plants as well. You may be able to find another Aquastyle Light Fixture here on the SNS(sales forum), I believe I saw one recently if it's still available. As far as accomplishing the creation of a mountain scape, I would research the Iwagumi style heavily. There are loads of them out there to draw ideas from. Iwagumi relies on rock as the hardscape, which sounds like what you want. You could even do a search using the words Mountain Scape, and I'm sure that would bring up some good results. Also, make sure you research Aquastyle shrimp tanks as well, for tips on making the filter shrimp friendly if your using the stock filter. Placing aquarium safe black panty hose over the intake, something like that. Wish you the best.
Now head to the Invertebrates section!
Thank you so much! I just went to PetSmart today and saw a very nice Lion King looking mountain and decided to buy it. Also today, my 9 red cherry shrimp came in the mail. One female was even berried! Anyways, I also received my bacopa Caroliniana and rotala indica today too.right now, they are in a temporary no filter vase with the shrimps and no substrate, but I am worried the shrimp will suffer from the vase and the plants will die from no nutrients! Any tips that I can get that will help With keeping the inhabitants in the vase alive for the next 3 to 5 days?

Last edited by Shrimpo_Brian; 03-16-2013 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Sorry, I forget to add something
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

How big is the vase? I kept cherry shrimp in a plastic container for a week during a tank breakdown. Nothing is guaranteed, but they are pretty tough little buggers. The plants should be ok for a few days, keep them fully underwater, and if you can expose them to a bit of light in some way, even natural sunlight, that would'nt hurt. Any pics of the mountain? Before seeing it, my honest opinion is, return it. I think once you discover the possibilities using natural materials such as driftwood and stone, you will prefer those.
You have a nice tank, and the footprint will allow you to make an awesome nano shrimp tank. What substrate are you using in your tank? I would definitely use some type of Moss in your tank as well, shrimp love moss. The berried female will feel safe there and the babies will hide in it.
This is important, is your tank up and running, and if so, for how long? Are there any fish in it?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
How big is the vase? I kept cherry shrimp in a plastic container for a week during a tank breakdown. Nothing is guaranteed, but they are pretty tough little buggers. The plants should be ok for a few days, keep them fully underwater, and if you can expose them to a bit of light in some way, even natural sunlight, that would'nt hurt. Any pics of the mountain? Before seeing it, my honest opinion is, return it. I think once you discover the possibilities using natural materials such as driftwood and stone, you will prefer those.
You have a nice tank, and the footprint will allow you to make an awesome nano shrimp tank. What substrate are you using in your tank? I would definitely use some type of Moss in your tank as well, shrimp love moss. The berried female will feel safe there and the babies will hide in it.
This is important, is your tank up and running, and if so, for how long? Are there any fish in it?
Today, I transferred the shrimp into the Aquastyle with the plants. The vase as like a little cage thing that teachers keep lol. The mountain I think is the only thing I found at PetSmart that actually could fit in the tank. No substrate yet, just gravel, but when it arrives, I'll just top the gravel with it. I will think of buying java moss, but not for now, tank is too small for those. I have a good opinion that the berried one will have a miscarriage or die because of the stress and parameter changes. The tank was never cycled, but I used the Tetra SafeStart on it just because the shrimp didn't seem to like being in a small unfiltered tank. I think I can't post any pictures, but I will try any post them. Is this a good start for my very first shrimp tank? I'm currently feeding them algae wafers and probably doing a water change once a week on the weekends.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

These are the best pictures I could take. The shrimp shown ( sorry, bad focus) is the berried one. Hope you like it. BTW, I would like to friend you or subscribe or have a mutual relationship on here, but I don't know how to do that......

Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The floating plants are there just so that when they take root, I'll plant them.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is a side view of the tank. The shrimp are all hiding in the mountain, should I be worried?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

I wouldn't worry about them hiding. What substrate are you getting again? I'd take the gravel out. I'd also do small daily water changes if you haven't fully cycled the tank.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about them hiding. What substrate are you getting again? I'd take the gravel out. I'd also do small daily water changes if you haven't fully cycled the tank.
I am getting the Fluval Ebi Stratum. Thanks for the tip so much!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you get some moss you can it to the rock{ that a man made thing right} A buddy took some thing like that and dressed it up with a moss. This is it every where there was green he tied moss it took a little while but now it looks awesome. he has to trim it ever so often.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #12
svn2k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Eco-complete with paintball co2 and stock LED running from 8:00am - 1:00pm, then 1:30pm to 6:00pm, and I dose the seachem stuff (NPK once a week)
svn2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

Your on the right track Brian. The Fluval Ebi is a fine choice. This is what I would do.
When the substrate arrives, take everything out of the tank, including the gravel. I'd drain water so you don't make a huge mess, and put that water in the bowl. You can do it just like before, with the shrimp and plants in the bowl. The Fluval doesn't need to be rinsed I believe. Then go ahead and plant the tank with what you have, leaving at least one plant in the bowl with the shrimp. The mountain decoration is kind of overpowering the tank to me, I think it would look so much better with MORE plants and some natural stones that aren't as large. You also should cover the intake of your filter like I mentioned so the baby shrimp don't get sucked in and killed. Oh, and I sent you a friend request.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svn2k View Post

Eco-complete with paintball co2 and stock LED running from 8:00am - 1:00pm, then 1:30pm to 6:00pm, and I dose the seachem stuff (NPK once a week)
Thank you so much for that info! Do you or will you cover the intake of the filter for the baby shrimps?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Your on the right track Brian. The Fluval Ebi is a fine choice. This is what I would do.
When the substrate arrives, take everything out of the tank, including the gravel. I'd drain water so you don't make a huge mess, and put that water in the bowl. You can do it just like before, with the shrimp and plants in the bowl. The Fluval doesn't need to be rinsed I believe. Then go ahead and plant the tank with what you have, leaving at least one plant in the bowl with the shrimp. The mountain decoration is kind of overpowering the tank to me, I think it would look so much better with MORE plants and some natural stones that aren't as large. You also should cover the intake of your filter like I mentioned so the baby shrimp don't get sucked in and killed. Oh, and I sent you a friend request.
Thank you sooooo much for that! Wow, you could be my human help machine! lol I also think the same about the mountain, but it's just too funny whenever I see them jumping off the "cliff". My mom now doesn't want me to get any more plants yet, the tank is on a trial and error thing right now. I got some stones at PetSmart, but I don't know where to put them. I covered the inside with a very fine mesh, because I don't want to ruin the look of the filter..... I just don't want to mess with the berried female because it is on the way to having babies, and I have to be very careful because I don't want any miscarriages or deaths. Will post pictures after the substrate arrives and the tank is aquascaped, which will be in about a few days or so, Amazon is being too lazy and they won't ship during spring break