Aqueon modular led moonlight mod
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Aqueon modular led moonlight mod

Aqueon modular led moonlight mod d. Love the light and the price, but the moon light was not on a seperate plug. This was an easy fix. First I followed the moon light wire to the switch. I took the plastic switch cover off.(just squeeze it, and pull). Then I cut the moon lights wire as close as I could to where it connected to the switch. Then I got ahold of a male and female barrel conector like the one it comes with. This can be found at radio shack,superbrightleds.com,etc(there are inline dimmers youcan get too)make sure the power rating is the same on the plug. Drill a hole right near the exsisting power cord. Feed your new cord in. Strip op the wires on the moon light and female barrel plug. Use wire nuts to connect them. And your set. If there are any questions let me know.
zackariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
mixermandan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Awesome!

Thanks! I just used this to add mine to a different timer, the other thing I did since my tank is deep is get rid of those week leds (busted them right off the rails) and used a single 24" blue LED strip (mode electronics from a local supplier). DRAMATIC improvement.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
zackariah
Planted Member

Default Re: Aqueon modular led moonlight mod

So did you take out the blue lights or the regular lights? I'm adding another strip to mine. But not the aqueon I'm buying a strip from superbrightleds and wiring it to the existing switch.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
zackariah
Planted Member

I did another mod to this fixture. I spliced two led strips together so I could add s fourth bulb. I cut the wire coming out of the strips then used wire nuts to attach two strips to one barrel plug. I didn't need to add another plug because the one it comes with is is powerful enough.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Kaerey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
I did another mod to this fixture. I spliced two led strips together so I could add s fourth bulb. I cut the wire coming out of the strips then used wire nuts to attach two strips to one barrel plug. I didn't need to add another plug because the one it comes with is is powerful enough.
In the above post you mentioned superbrightleds did you end up just using another Aqueon tube?
Kaerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
zackariah
Planted Member

I just added another strip I already had. I put pictures up on another aqueon led thread. Im worried the super bright LEDs will not be bright enough. The angle of light is 170+ degrees and. All the led fixtures and DIY setups I've seen on here have no more then 90.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
mclaren880

Default Any pics?

Hey Zackariah, sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but do you by any chance have any pics of what you did? I think i get what you did, I just want to be sure I don't screw my nice lights up. And what plug (the part that goes into the wall) did you use? Thanks a bunch!
mclaren880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
zackariah
Planted Member

I don't remember sorry. I have since switched to higher output leds. it needs to be low voltage or you will burn out the blue leds. (there are only a few) I don't have any pictures. I did take pictures when I added more strips. they are on the aqueon modular led thread. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
mclaren880

Default thanks!

No worries at all. I'll have a look at that other thread. I appreciate the reply, especially after such a long time, haha.
mclaren880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
zackariah
Planted Member

No prob. Good luck.