More problems!! (56k warning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Mayiko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

More problems!! (56k warning)

After my last thread (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...610&highlight=) everything bounced back and was looking pretty good. Then I got some driftwood and moved everything around to decorate. It has been two weeks since then, and things seem to be getting really bad.

Here are my tank stats:
45g Breader (16" tall)
2 bulb T5HO light with a Rosette and 6000k bulbs
Fluval 405 Canister Filter
Eco-complete substrate
Dosing Flourish Excel daily and Flourish every other day

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20
pH - 7.8
KH - 13
GH - 16

11 x Neon Tetra
8 x Pristilla (x-ray) Tetra
8 x Zebra Danio
1 x Dwarf Gourami
Red Cherry Shrimp
Assassin Snails
There has been a film on the top of the water that will go away if I use my bubble wand, but then the pH skyrockets to 8.8. I am assuming this is because all the CO2 in the water is diffusing into the air.

Here are some pictures of what is going on.

This guy appears to be growing really well:

These look terrible. I am not sure what is going on.

And on this one, I am not sure what the "barbs" are growing on the plant.

I was thinking I would put together a DIY CO2 system, but I am not sure it will help much. As you can see in some of the pictures, there is algae, so I think my lighting is ok.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mayiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Those barbs are the start of new baby plants!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
sp33drhno
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/100%)

Vallisneria are sensitive to excel. That's probably why yours are melting.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiko View Post
I was thinking I would put together a DIY CO2 system, but I am not sure it will help much. As you can see in some of the pictures, there is algae, so I think my lighting is ok.
Not true. Any Co2 is better than no Co2 for your plants. I would add a DiY Co2 for sure until you are ready for pressurized Co2.

2 T5HO is high light so you should be using Co2 or reduce your lighting photoperiod and/or only use one bulb. This will help reduce the algae.

As far as the protein film build up on the surface you can eliminate that by increasing surface aggitation or buy a suface skimmer. I bought the Fluval surface skimmer (amazon.com for like $11) and it works great!

I thought Seachem recommends flourish be dosed only 1-2 x per week. Excel should be dosed daily.

If you are not already doing so, weekly water changes of 30-50% will also improve the overall health of your aquarium.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Mayiko
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for your input.

Should I just let the "barbs" grow? Is there anything special I am supposed to do with them?

I picked up all the stuff I needed for a DIY CO2 system last night after I made the op, and will be starting it in the next couple days. When I do, should I stop dosing Excel so the Chilensis will not melt away?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

The "barbs" are the roots of new java ferns. They will eventually grow leaves and break off into new plants You can either let them do their own thing or break them off yourself when they get big enough.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

DIY co2 is gonna be tough to keep up, your probably gonna go pressurized if this planted tank bug has got you, look into it now before you waste a lot of time and hassle on DIY.
DIY can be done but it'll be much easier on your sanity if you go pressurized.
Just my .02

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Mayiko
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
DIY co2 is gonna be tough to keep up, your probably gonna go pressurized if this planted tank bug has got you, look into it now before you waste a lot of time and hassle on DIY.
DIY can be done but it'll be much easier on your sanity if you go pressurized.
Just my .02
I 100% agree with you, unfortunately, I cannot afford a pressurized system right now. I have a problem with not doing anything half way, so I would go all out with a pressurized system (big tank, expensive regulator with sylinoid, ph probe to run sylinoid). From what I have priced, I would be around $400, and I can do a DIY for less then $50. Just means more maintenance. I cook a lot of bread though, so the yeast mixture is not a big deal for me. Eventually, I will be going pressurized.

However, if there is a way to keep the cost of a pressurized system under $100 with everything, then I will do that right now.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
foster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiko View Post
I 100% agree with you, unfortunately, I cannot afford a pressurized system right now. I have a problem with not doing anything half way, so I would go all out with a pressurized system (big tank, expensive regulator with sylinoid, ph probe to run sylinoid). From what I have priced, I would be around $400, and I can do a DIY for less then $50. Just means more maintenance. I cook a lot of bread though, so the yeast mixture is not a big deal for me. Eventually, I will be going pressurized.

However, if there is a way to keep the cost of a pressurized system under $100 with everything, then I will do that right now.
Check out Aquatek of california. I just put together a pressurized co2 system for about $140. The co2 tank deposit not included.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
NYREPS
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NYREPS
Default More problems!! (56k warning)

I have 3 aquatek co2 system
a full co2 system cost me less then
$200

Aquatek regulator $89 or you can spend a little bit more for the six outlet one so you can hook up to 6 tanks with one cylinder

5 lb cylinder $57
3 glass diffuser $9.99
Tubing and check valve $5
5lb co2 filled at paint ball shop for $21

That will last you for years to come ,for get about DIY forget about building your own ,building your own can be very dangerous of you don't know what you are doing and plus your plants will tank you .

You can get the aquatek and the 5lb cylinder on amazon .
NYREPS is offline   Reply With Quote