New tank Help Ideas
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

New tank Help Ideas

I made this tank out of a broken 20 gallon long. The problem is I tested it for 2 weeks full to the top and it passed, but I still dont like the way the silicone moves when i fill it towards the top.

SO I want to know what i should do I'm thinking of something where the water line can be half or 3/4 of the way up.

I would like to see pictures of your tanks with the same setup and what plants you have used and what you stock it with. Filtration is important too how do you do it with low water levels?

Pics help me out more than words but words are also appreciated.

This is the tank the light and sand is for pictures only so i can change it but I would like to use the same sand and a similar light.
Tank dimensions 10 gallons (3.8Liters) 15"Lx12.5"Wx12.5"H (38.1cmX31.75cmX31.75cm) substrate is black beauty abrasive sand, walmart clip light with 13w daylight cfl bulb.

kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would reseal it and do the water test again.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
I would reseal it and do the water test again.
Its my second time doing it, the problem is at the top there are some imperfections in the glass (grooves from me sanding the silicone off) and it leaves bubbles, at the top. The tank doesn't leak since the silicone inside doesn't let the water get that far but when filling it all the way to the rim you can see movement in the bubbles. I can try doing it again but since both times the same thing happened in the same exact spots i think its the glass. I'm either going to do it 3/4 full or give it to someone who wants to mess with it. I would rather try to do something new. Anymore ideas out there
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Put triangles in the corners to brace the tank the way crazydaz's tank is braced?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Put triangles in the corners to brace the tank the way crazydaz's tank is braced?
that is what i was thinking. they could be glass if you can get them, or you could use acrylic to keep the clear look.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
that is what i was thinking. they could be glass if you can get them, or you could use acrylic to keep the clear look.
I actually have a piece of glass that is the same exact size of the bottom piece of glass. I was going to use it a s a top for the tank with about 2" cut off the back for filter and things. I just never cut angles in glass and when I cut these pieces I feel I got lucky. I might just do some euro bracing as a last resort. I just don't know how the filter would fit with the bracing in place.

So, I guess no one is feelin my half full Idea. I'll take some more ideas if anyone has some and I still would like to see pics of your half full tank setups.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Have you looked at any of the riparium set ups as a possible inspiration? Doing a lower water line with emergent plants can end up with a really nice look.

Or just bite the bullet and cut the tank walls down to below the problem area and run it as a nano tank.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm going to go for it. It passed a 2 week test then another 2 weeks with no leaks. Im just going to do it. Anybody wanna bet on how long it will last?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.