How to prevent bacteria infection - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #31
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

How to prevent bacteria infection

Temps are the only thing i I have seen cause bacterial infections. And I have only had them in tigers. My neos crs hybrids and tb never a bacterial infection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #32
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

my rili just went though a bacterial infection. not sure what caused it cause it was an estabilshed tank but they did go from low ph (6ish) to about 7.2 so maybe a stress thing
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #33
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

If you start noticing bacterial infections best thing is lower the temps a bunch over a 3 day span. it will slow it down enough for you to treat. If I see something off and even if I sniff or slightly suspect a bacterial infection I get my tank temp down to 62-61. Shrimp do fine with it and it slows everything down
Finnex Pimp #8
Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #34
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Very helpful info man thank you. Really does make sense. When I got my oebt shipped over night in January the water was like low 60 upper 50 I believe and they all were fine. It may have even helped them since I didn't lose one for the first like month and a half.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #35
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

yep it was temp related. my daughter had messed with the heater and didnt tell me tanks were about 75 i got to where i couldnt sleep. she was sick and said she was cold lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #36
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (47/100%)

Interesting,

I see that temp is definitely key, but according to some of the responses so far, the bacteria doesn't just start out of no-where so as long as the batch of shrimps you already have are healthy and striving, nothing new is added, including plants, using 100% RO for WC should keep you in the safe zone right?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #37
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

im not sure i dont use ro water for any of my shrimp. never have. i think its probably always around but stress on the shrimp is what causes them to get it. kinda like people and getting a cold. there are all kinds of microscopic things in a tank. what caused my rili to get it i think was A)new tank, they had only been in this tank a couple weeks; and B) the temps went up (due to some one playing with the thermostat on the house lol) so stress and higher temps.

on a side note temp place a big roll in all kinds of bacteria, that is why when cooking its a must to store food right or the bad bacteria make people sick cause it grows ie food poisoning
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #38
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

As a side note I got a brand new batch of OEBTs again on Friday....decided to try to be brave...again. I checked them all when they came in and they looked fine, already found 3 with missing antennae so it begins. Just the stress of the shipping and the new environment I'm sure. I acclimated them over the course of two days (just how my schedule worked out) so no shock to the system really. The tank stays at 70 but I'm probably going to get a fan on it tomorrow to drop temp some more. Added a fresh batch of catappa bark and alder cones, will dose with Shrimp Emergency tomorrow. They got dosed when they went into the tank. So, best ya can do is try to get it under control and keep an eye out. Fingers crossed.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #39
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

Default How to prevent bacteria infection

Keep your temps below 70 and see how they do. I keep all my tigers below 70

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #40
ProjectCode619
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
As a side note I got a brand new batch of OEBTs again on Friday....decided to try to be brave...again. I checked them all when they came in and they looked fine, already found 3 with missing antennae so it begins. Just the stress of the shipping and the new environment I'm sure. I acclimated them over the course of two days (just how my schedule worked out) so no shock to the system really. The tank stays at 70 but I'm probably going to get a fan on it tomorrow to drop temp some more. Added a fresh batch of catappa bark and alder cones, will dose with Shrimp Emergency tomorrow. They got dosed when they went into the tank. So, best ya can do is try to get it under control and keep an eye out. Fingers crossed.
Ravensgate,

In order to see the missing antennae you must have really good eyes since shrimps can tend to move around pretty fast. Perhaps you put them in a confined space first to observe before adding to your main tank?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectCode619 View Post
Ravensgate,

In order to see the missing antennae you must have really good eyes since shrimps can tend to move around pretty fast. Perhaps you put them in a confined space first to observe before adding to your main tank?
Yes I do have good eyes, I can see newborn shrimp the minute they are born too. They were in a quarantine tank for observation before going in my main tank, no antennae missing on any of them, no other signs of any infection. This ain't my first rodeo with these unfortunately. Again, if you read my posts or do some more research on Shrimpsider or Crustahunter you'll learn that due to how OEBTs have been bred, they simply have a crap immune system more sensitive than other species of shrimp. You introduce them to a new environment and it's like taking a kid from your house, that's ALWAYS been in your house, and taking him to school or the grocery store for the first time and suddenly you have a sick kid. The immune system has to build up.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #42
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Reading over this thread, seems like infections are common with OEBT...I picked up some locally almost 3 weeks ago and they seem great! "knock on wood!" They are my favorite shrimp. I have seen anything weird, well except 5 out of 10 molting all at the same time. Never encountered that so I guess you could say that was weird.
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #43
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33 View Post
Reading over this thread, seems like infections are common with OEBT...I picked up some locally almost 3 weeks ago and they seem great! "knock on wood!" They are my favorite shrimp. I have seen anything weird, well except 5 out of 10 molting all at the same time. Never encountered that so I guess you could say that was weird.

Not all people have bad luck with OEBT. Many have great luck with them, they never get infections, breed like rabbits, yadda yadda. I'm just not one of those people. Plus each shrimp is different as well, just like some people react to stress better than others, I'll assume it's the same for shrimp. That's why some shrimp die while being berried due to stress and some act like it's no big deal.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #44
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Not all people have bad luck with OEBT. Many have great luck with them, they never get infections, breed like rabbits, yadda yadda. I'm just not one of those people. Plus each shrimp is different as well, just like some people react to stress better than others, I'll assume it's the same for shrimp. That's why some shrimp die while being berried due to stress and some act like it's no big deal.

Good way of looking at it! It sucks you keep having these issues as we can see you obviously love OEBTs. Not sure you can do more than what your already doing, I mean a 2 day drip is a longggggg time. My guys are still juvies but hopefully, I'll get my share of shrimplets from them! I really haven't even taken the time to see how many males or females I have
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #45
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

I do adore them, they are my favorite shrimp. This is my last attempt at keeping them though. I already had 3 in the tank, added 11 more so I'm still hopeful. They came from a reputable source and I know there was nothing wrong with them when they got here, poor guys were just stressed, then went in with the little monsters already in there which no doubt added to the stress. They are all eating like pigs and very active. I just have to watch them like hawks. Molts have to be pulled out, all that jazz so it's easier just to quarantine them when I see it. Problem with that is, it stresses them again...then you still have to acclimate them back in to the tank. So it's can be a vicious cycle. It really is frustrating. What's even more frustrating is reading all the people that have awesome luck with them. LOL! Hopefully I can join the cool kids club one day and say 'yeah, I got a whole colony of 200+ OEBTs..so there'. HAHA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.