Noah's 40B Rainbow Garden - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #91
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
nice read through!! good looking tank!!! i really like the driftwood layout!
Thanks! So far my rainbows seem to like it too

I think I may go out and grab a few more Herbertaxelrodi's tomorrow if any of my LFS has them in stock. of course they will be in Q for a month though lol. I might as well take advantage of it while the Q tank is still up and cycled.

It seems that the rainbow bug has bitten you now too? lol
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #92
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Update. not too much to talk about yet. I just finished my weekly water change, the herberts are pretty stressed, they are not used to being in a tank with just themselves. I have two bosmani (male and female) in Quarantine being treated for ich but they should be able to join the others in the main tank in a week or so. very very very colorful male, and a pretty female. I have a very good lead on some local Nigrans thanks to Zimbo! Your awesome man!!! I am still trying to decide on a tood match for the substrate (or rock crawling species) from the Australia / Asian region. I have been thinking a few cobalt goby's but would need to age the tank some, and let some algae grow (although this should not be that hard on the rock) I have no other ideas and am welcome to some lol.

Here are a few pictures, they are very lightly modified to pull out more of the colors that I cannot capture well on my phone.

Male herbertaxelrodi

female herbertaxelrodi

and full tank shot
Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #93
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

update incoming. I need to let my two bosmani get used to the tank before I can start snapping more pics of them. they seem to like the room after being in the Q tank for a month lol
Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #94
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

WE GOT NIGRANS!!!!!!!!!!

turns out there was a breeder that spent a ton of time with Gary Lange doing rainbow collecting. Well she left the hobby a few years ago, but some very heavy rainbow enthusiasts bought her collection here in Colorado and have been quietly breeding what they have. I met one of them who put some Nigrans up for auction a the local club auction. I purchased the ones at the auction and plan on getting at least 5 more from him. he is a super nice guy and said he has 13 species of rainbow he currently is keeping. He invited a few of us bow heads over to see his fish room in a few weeks!!!

The Nigrans I have are still very young, but are starting to show colors. I am VERY VERY happy now. They are in Q for at least one week (since I know the breeder) and then they will get moved into the 40b

Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #95
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Alright, I am trying to keep with more consistent updates. So here we go.

As I posted yesterday I got ahold of a fish I have been looking for for about a year, which Is AWESOME!!!! They have settled in and are showing more colors than they did yesterday. They are still very young, and rainbows have a tendency to grow slow. They get passed by in LFS when young because they look colorless and not like the name suggests lol. patience though will result in great fish!! My female and male Bosmani (will stay in this tank as long as they can, if they get too large and seem to be unhappy they will go to a friend with a larger tank) man the male is colorful as you can see in the next few pics. This is pretty amazing for a LFS brand bosmani, which usually breed pretty washed out. I just could not pass them by.

As for the plants. Everything is going great. Some plants are showing a lack of potassium so I will be upping the K this week to rectify the situation. The dwarf hairgrass is starting to spread. Everything else is dandy. I need to find myself some fissidens for the wood, and maybe one or two more stem plants for the mid ground.

Anywhoo here are a few more pics.

Nigrans in holding!!! This is two females and a male on the left. I am trying to get better pics, but these dang things wont stop moving!!

Here is the whole group. It looks like it is two males and three females!

Here is the bosmani and my male Herbert. they have been getting along great. the bosmani has a bone to pick with one of my pushy Herbert females though lol. the male Herbert has decided all the girls are his.

"FEEEEDDDDD MEEEEEEEE"
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #96
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looking good Noah, the local poachers need an updated plant list! Someday hopefully we will have the plant availability up to the standards of the fish availability in this state!
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #97
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Looking good Noah, the local poachers need an updated plant list! Someday hopefully we will have the plant availability up to the standards of the fish availability in this state!
LOL I just sent the list to Zimbo. Its not near what it should be yet, but I will update it once I find the last two stems I want.

Cryptocoryne undulata
CRYPTOCORYNE CORDATA (not 100%, its olive green with burgundy under leaves)

hygro sunset.
ludwigia 'cuba'
Eichhornia diversifolia (great plant, medium growth speed)
broad leaf ludwigia repens
rotala 'green'
Stellatus broad leaf
Lindernia sp. 'India'
Ranunculus INUNDATUS(awesome plant, great growth unique leaf shape)
Both red and green tiger lotus.
java fern,
anubias nana
ludwigia pinnatfida

We need to get all the Colorado plant owners together in one place. there are a ton of us, but we are very fragmented.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #98
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Figured I would get a few more pics up. these guys love to have photos taken of them lol. Zimbo stopped by and grabbed a few plants from me, and brought me some African water fern, so that is now residing in the back left of the tank, and hopefully will grow out and become a nice lush area.

Anyhoo some more photos

Bosmani showing his fins, male Herbert and female Herbert asking for food!

Herbert passing by while others watch

pretty boy bosmani strutting his stuff

M.nigrans youngins. the top left one is a female, you can sort of see the blues coming out a bit in her. the male is under her. he is hiding his finnage (which is now showing a slight hint of red. he also has more blue in him.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #99
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

that white outline ont he rainbow fish that is half silver, half orange, is that normal? I saw one like that the other day and was unsure if it was finrot or if it was supposed ot look like that. They move so quick it is hard for me to tell. I'm used to the slow moving discus where I have all day to examine them if I wanted.
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #100
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Thanks! So far my rainbows seem to like it too

I think I may go out and grab a few more Herbertaxelrodi's tomorrow if any of my LFS has them in stock. of course they will be in Q for a month though lol. I might as well take advantage of it while the Q tank is still up and cycled.

It seems that the rainbow bug has bitten you now too? lol
indeed! it has bitten, and its getting worse. im considering removing some other fauna and adding more rainbows

the bose is beautiful! its rare to see someone who can care for them and achieve that coloration
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #101
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Default RE: Noah's 40B Rainbow Garden

Yep, it is a normal coloration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbeauch View Post
that white outline ont he rainbow fish that is half silver, half orange, is that normal? I saw one like that the other day and was unsure if it was finrot or if it was supposed ot look like that. They move so quick it is hard for me to tell. I'm used to the slow moving discus where I have all day to examine them if I wanted.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #102
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Update!!!
Tank is growing like wild fire in July. This is the night before my weekly water change so all plants are as they have grown in a week or two. I added a pair of bosmani (if they outgrow the tank, I have a home for them at a friends house) the male is probably one of the most intensely colored bosmani males I have ever seen at a fish store (which is why I got him lol)
The Nigrans are happily in the tank now and are VERY active. the other bows move around the tank, but not as much as these little guys.
A tad bit more color is showing, some red in the fins, some light blue in the body. they are brave little guys too. not afraid to come to the front of the tank and watch me watching them lol.
Anywhoo!! here are some pics.
Full tank shot:

hygro sunset and

ludwigia 'cuba'

pinnatifida (sp?)

Male Herbertaxeorldi

Herd of Nigrans lol

Male Bosmani
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #103
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
indeed! it has bitten, and its getting worse. im considering removing some other fauna and adding more rainbows

the bose is beautiful! its rare to see someone who can care for them and achieve that coloration

He is a great little fish! although a bit skittish. when the others come to the front he either goes and hides behind plant groups and watches from afar, or he hides behind the girls lol
Old 03-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #104
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

You're fish look great, as does the tank! Love the coloration on your Bosemanis!
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #105
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Tanks is looking great Noah.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.